• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need some help with a 1994 ext cab 4x4 4.0 auto

1988broncoll

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My fiance sold her saturn to get something different. She likes rangers and only has 2,000 to work with getting something and getting it put on the road. So anyway Ive been searching Craigslist for the past 3 days and I found a 1994 ranger that is an ext cab straight side 4x4 4.0 auto. the body is in decent shape but it has 186k on it. I am going to look at it around 4 tonight he is asking 1600.00 for it. Is there anything other then normal common sense stuff i should be looking for. And how do the 4.0s hold up the truck is not lifted... and it wont be lifted. other then that just wondering if anyone has some input on these newer style rangers

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My fiance sold her saturn to get something different. She likes rangers and only has 2,000 to work with getting something and getting it put on the road. So anyway Ive been searching Craigslist for the past 3 days and I found a 1994 ranger that is an ext cab straight side 4x4 4.0 auto. the body is in decent shape but it has 186k on it. I am going to look at it around 4 tonight he is asking 1600.00 for it. Is there anything other then normal common sense stuff i should be looking for. And how do the 4.0s hold up the truck is not lifted... and it wont be lifted. other then that just wondering if anyone has some input on these newer style rangers

Yeah, make sure both hubs are auto or manual and not one of each like I found. LOL Also I found a bunch of rangers with better mileage for the same price on craigslist. I dont know where your at but give it more than 3 days to search. I searched for about 2-3 weeks. Hardcore searching was about a week. My 4.0 has 140k and had a bad maf when I boughti it. I found a bottle of maf cleaner in my shed and it wasnt bad it was just dirty, runs like a champ now. Check the cooling system. turn the 4x4 on turn on the 4lo and just make sure you can hear the engagement. Mine I can hear the electronic click, but no engagement. Get the vin and do the free carfax thing posting in this forum.

rangerdude91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
ive got 220K on my truck and it still runs good. my 4.0 did great with my truck being stock, and is still doing great for being lifted and tires. you might want to check the front rear leaf spring hangers, mine had to be replaced. i know it doesnt make sence but you know what i mean

good luck

Nathan

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals