• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need some help from the laptop techs.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have an Acer aspire one d255e that won't boot.

a while ago i replaced a cracked screen and have had the connector of the screen come loose a couple times. today it happened after my wife used it and i told her i'd fix it when i got home.

i get home and check it out, started by popping the trim off and finding the connector halfway popped out, i pushed it back in not realizing that she had left the laptop powered on.

it turned off, and after plugging the screen in and putting it back together the computer won't turn on.

the power button either does nothing, or it will sometimes turn on for a few seconds and then shut back off. i've tried with the battery removed, and with the battery in and power cord removed. same results.

im pissed. im thinking it shorted out the motherboard or something, but i don't know how to check. unplug the ram and see if it beeps? any way of fixing something like that aside from replacing the MB?

EDIT: i've also tried starting it with the screen unplugged, same thing

Last edited:

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Sounds like you fried something. I always make sure a laptop is powered down AND the battery is pulled before the screw driver is ever pulled out. It's no different than your vehicle - don't you make sure the thing is off and disconect the battery before tearing into that? It's a harsh lesson, but even when you do everything right, I've had to do a laptop mobo or two before myself just from age or bad design and it's nowhere near as fun as a desktop. If it won't power on, the board is likely fried. Somewhere online there may be an Acer specific diagnostic, but I'm thinking it's probably dead. :dunno:

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probably fried....BUT... just for fun, unplug it, take the battery out and then hold the power button down for 15-20 seconds or so. This supposedly discharges ALL possible remaining power in the system and give you a true reset.

I doubt it will work though...

DFracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
power supply

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
power supply
For the LCD perhaps? I know they often have their own converters sine AC adapters only supply one voltage. I have an Acer Aspire One and considering the running cost of a netbook, dont bother replacing the mobo if it's fried, just consider it an excuse to upgrade. I got my compaq with the new AMD fusion dual core's and they blow an Intel Atom oout of the water for similar if not less money. I still have my Aspire, but I prefer my Compaq CQ-57 which cost me less.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
the aspire one is/was my work computer..

its not that is doesn't power on at all. it turns on for a few seconds, power light lights up and fans come on, no HDD activity. and it shuts off.

and yeah i should have unplugged the battery, i usually would i just wasn't paying attention.

this just pisses me off SO much! i don't have the money to just replace the whole thing over carelessness. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!

would there be any way to be sure which part is burnt out?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
the aspire one is/was my work computer..

its not that is doesn't power on at all. it turns on for a few seconds, power light lights up and fans come on, no HDD activity. and it shuts off.

and yeah i should have unplugged the battery, i usually would i just wasn't paying attention.

this just pisses me off SO much! i don't have the money to just replace the whole thing over carelessness. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!

would there be any way to be sure which part is burnt out?
Yes, but it is sometimes more expensive than swapping parts out trying to troubleshoot an RBV...

Was the unit using A/C or DC when you did this...and if DC try pulling the battery out and using AC only...

You are getting power so it's not likely the power supply...the system is doing a POST (power on self test) and halts when it detects a problem...the problem is a major part is simply responding...do you have an option for external monitor???

Using an external monitor and booting into safe mode (press F8 as soon as it starts booting and tap it a few times till you get a boot option menu) will give you a halt on drivers loading...and sometimes you can see where the problem is...

If it doesn't get that far...you may need to take it to a shop to have them test the components...

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, but it is sometimes more expensive than swapping parts out trying to troubleshoot an RBV...

Was the unit using A/C or DC when you did this...and if DC try pulling the battery out and using AC only...

You are getting power so it's not likely the power supply...the system is doing a POST (power on self test) and halts when it detects a problem...the problem is a major part is simply responding...do you have an option for external monitor???

Using an external monitor and booting into safe mode (press F8 as soon as it starts booting and tap it a few times till you get a boot option menu) will give you a halt on drivers loading...and sometimes you can see where the problem is...

If it doesn't get that far...you may need to take it to a shop to have them test the components...
it was plugged in, the battery was installed. i've tried it with the battery out and a/c power only, and i've tried with battery power only, and i've tried with the screen unplugged, it still does the same thing.

i'll probably just have to try my best to figure it out, i would never pay someone to fix something i'm capable of doing

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Power disconnected, battery out, REMOVE both memory modules, reinstall one and try running it with one.

try it in both slots.

if that fails try it with the other module.

AD

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The RAM chips correct?

I still haven't even touched it yet.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If I recall correctly, to work on the internals of a laptop you need a food chisel to split the case open...takes a fairly good crack with the hammwe though...

But I do recall a test like AD suggested...been so long since I troubleshot a laptop...but that would tell you if it's fried RAM...system won't boot with bad RAM, Video, or HD controller...we used to use beep codes to TS systems...not sure if they still put them in computers any more...but it's only good for POST errors...and it doesn't sound like you're even getting to the post...

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The RAM chips correct?

I still haven't even touched it yet.
Yeeah, the RAM modules which are usually accessable through an access panel on the bottom on most notebooks.

You'd be suprised how many "no-start" problems are caused by a bad or incorrectly seated RAM module.

AD

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Today i messed with it some. Found that its now only powering on when using battery power only.. will not power on if the DC power is plugged in.

It still shuts off within 10 seconds though.

I have to remove the keyboard or something to access the RAM.

I found a common problem with BIOS so im going to try to flash the bios too

EDIT: Just tried with the RAM removed.. same thing, no beep at all, also tried unplugging hard drive...nothing

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Did you try it with on RAM chip installed or completely removed? It needs at least one installed...and swap in/out with the other one...if still no boot then it may be a mobo issue or power supply...I'm leaning toward the mobo...but power supplies can give partial boots and then fail...and if it at least boots with the battery (is the battery fully charged???) and nothing at all with the AC then that's another strong possible...

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
it only has one RAM slot and there was no difference with the chip in or out.

the first time it happened the battery was charged, now i don't know since its been sitting, but the symptoms haven't changed at all.

it looks like buying a complete parts laptop would be cheaper than buying the motherboard alone so i might just have to do that

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals