• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Some General MPG/Driver Feel information

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
last night i bought a 98 Explorer XLT , 4.0 SOHC , 5R55E , unsure of the t-case , and it has 3.55 gears , here is what i am looking for , i plant to swap the 31's off my 96 onto the 98 and i need answers to these 2 questions in relation to swapping on the 31's with no gear change

1. What kind of mileage do you get with running 31's with an auto and 3.55 gears ?

2. Have you noticed a lack of power after installing the 31's ?

the Explorer they are currently on has 3.73's , came factory with 235's , this one has 3.55's and came with 235's , thanks for any input

here is a pic of the new ride , paid $1000 at the auction , after fees , tax , title , registration , inspection and a new battery i am looking at $1350 roughly , has 134k and about 1 dozen spots of slight surface rust , all just need touch up work

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
I have a '91 Navajo with 3.55's and 31's and it drives fine. I have a manual though, and first gear is a little tall. Yes, there is definitely a drop in power over the 235's. It's also tire width, compound, and tread that affects this, but I went from being able to do a brake stand in 2nd gear to only being able to do it in 1st.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
thanks for the info gribly , i run a set of Kuhmo Road Venture KL78's , just the basic all terrain , nothing too agressive

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Probably not directly comparable, but here's some info on my 94 4.0 Explorer Sport w/ 3.55's, 235's and an AT.

I am getting about 16.2 to 16.5 mpg all-around driving (actual mileage data during extended 1500-2000 mile intervals) which includes a mix of town (not city), country road and interstate driving. I have done a couple of tests of using the Overdrive vs. no Overdrive, and mileage is about the same. I mention this as when using Overdrive, this gearing is TOO TALL for most highway driving. If there is even a moderate incline, the motor tends to bog and load-up, and a kick-down into 3rd is required. Also, I have to run a can of Seafoam through the tank each few tankfuls to keep the engine from loading up a bit.

Why not just keep running with no OD? I am noticing that the motor is using 1 quart of oil (Mobil-1 synthetic) every 800 miles. The motor is A-OK, 126,000 miles, no blue smoke etc., oil consumption seems to be just from running the motor at higher revs on the highway without the OD.

So, although I have no direct experience with either your motor or with 31's (I won't go there with this truck), I suspect that you will find the 3.55 gearing problematic using AT using the OD, and might have an oil use issue without using the OD.

Testing continues . . .

CraigK

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
Probably not directly comparable, but here's some info on my 94 4.0 Explorer Sport w/ 3.55's, 235's and an AT.

I am getting about 16.2 to 16.5 mpg all-around driving (actual mileage data during extended 1500-2000 mile intervals) which includes a mix of town (not city), country road and interstate driving. I have done a couple of tests of using the Overdrive vs. no Overdrive, and mileage is about the same. I mention this as when using Overdrive, this gearing is TOO TALL for most highway driving. If there is even a moderate incline, the motor tends to bog and load-up, and a kick-down into 3rd is required. Also, I have to run a can of Seafoam through the tank each few tankfuls to keep the engine from loading up a bit.

Why not just keep running with no OD? I am noticing that the motor is using 1 quart of oil (Mobil-1 synthetic) every 800 miles. The motor is A-OK, 126,000 miles, no blue smoke etc., oil consumption seems to be just from running the motor at higher revs on the highway without the OD.

So, although I have no direct experience with either your motor or with 31's (I won't go there with this truck), I suspect that you will find the 3.55 gearing problematic using AT using the OD, and might have an oil use issue without using the OD.

Testing continues . . .

CraigK
the only difference i can see between our trucks is yours is a 4 speed , mine is a 5 speed , and mine had the higher output 4.0 207vs160 for HP and 238vs225 for torque

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Testing continues . . .

CraigK
My parents had a '94 too, factory 235's.. with 3.27's. It would sit there and bounce around through the gears on hills and averaged about 15-16mpg. 180k when they traded it and never had to touch the trans either. Their '02 can get close to 20 if it feels like it, usually high teens on the highway.

In my experiance, don't deviate too far from stock tire size unless you plan on regearing. I pretty much turned my F-150 from one of the county's best stump pullers to a turd by swapping from 235/70-16's to 255/75-17's. Told myself at the time I would just regear it. $500 for just gears and a lot of time fixing something that really isn't broke is a lot of messing around just to look cool after I got to checking into it and thinking about it... and even then the milage wouldn't be what it was before.

My Ranger has 3.73's and 31's. Gets around very well around town and NEVER downshifts for a hill... but then it has a three speed :D

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Oops, forgot. I still get 20mpg. Used to pull 22-24. Yes, I am doing the math correctly. I just have maintained my engine very well, and I clean the MAF regularly and all that jazz. I get as little as 10 sometimes, though, but that is tanks when I go wheeling..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals