• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need some explaination

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
OK, I want more stopping power for my ranger. I got 17" Cobra rims and a 302 powerplant. I got all the go in the world, but the stopping part is kinda lacking.

I see that they make drilled/slotted rotors for my 2wd street machine, but are there any aftermarket calipers that I can purchase? Something with a little more grabbing power?

Thanks guys!

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
do the 44 knuckle swap. best thing for stopping power is more physical surface, and the rotors on the new setup will do that.
sure great pads and super rotors will help but raw stopping power like that comes from more surface area. bigger rotors and pads.

i wont go into the physics......

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
You can put D44 outers on the 2wd beams? Guess the question is would that be outers from a 2wd F-150? or use the 4wd ttb? Aww man now I got a million thoughts going through my head about my truck lol. Sorry to thread jack.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Me thinks he wasn't payin enough attention to what he was replying to.

Drilled slotted won't really make a bit of difference in how you stop on the street. on a street vehicle they're really just for show, which is fine, just don't trick yourself into thinking they make a difference in stopping power. Combined with better pads thy may make a difference but you will likely see the same difference with plain rotors and the same pads.

I'm not aware of any big companies currently making a kit for bigger brakes that will fit on your truck. There are a few other options though when they are available, though for either you need 95-97 spindles, and for one matching calipers and brackets. Problem is they aren't discussed much over here, I'll give you some general info but for more on them you'll have to go RPS.

First and probably cheapest is a bracket that will allow you to run 12" Sport Trac rotors. This is the one that requires the 95-97 calipers and brackets. It's not a problem as they are pratically identical to the sport trac units, the added braking power comes from the larger rotor and placing the caliper further from the wheel center. I managed to get a set of these brackets from the maker's last run and they look great, problem is he may not make another run for a while. That said he may have a set still on the shelf. They guy you'll want to talk to over there is Gumby and the thread is here: 12" brakes for 95-97 spindles

Now how do you feel about 13" Mustang Cobra Disc Brakes? If that gets you interest then you'll like this, there are at least two (possibly three) kits that allow you to run these. I'll warn you though this is a bit more expensive than the 12 inch brakes, all you are buying in these kits is a bracket and hub that allow you to mount the components to your truck, you still have to buy the cobra brake components. One kit is made by a user over there named TeeRev, there have been a number of these bought and run with nothing but good results. What he does is machine a bracket from 6061 T6 Billet Aluminum if that means anything to you, simply put very strong stuff, to mount the cobra calipers to your spindles. He then takes a new brake rotor and machines off the rotor portion so the hat is left as a hub similar to what is on the old mustangs. He machines them such that your track width is not modified. Mount the hub like your old rotor then slide the cobra rotor onto it. Problem is he has sold all the kits he already made and is not interested in making more to sell due to bad business people saying they would buy and didn't leaving him to foot the bill until he could sell them. We managed to work out a group buy if we can get 10 buyers willing to pay about half of the money up front to help cover cost of getting materials. For more information see this thread: 13" Cobra brakes for your 89-97 Ranger & 99-03!! for the group buy see this thread: 13" brake kit Yeah I bitched a lot in there, but they agreed to the GB. I'm on the list and we have 6 more people to go. Personally hoping that if we might have 5 with the same type they'll cut us a break and make them anyway.

The other option for cobra brakes just popped up the other week with very little info, and only one user. Who knows how they'll work, or if they'll work on anyone else's truck. Guy started talking about them last summer then disappeared for a year,and still hasn't given a price for them. I'll give the link to be fair but won't recommend them: Another 95-97 Spindle Brake upgrade?

As for the rear brakes I see you are going to a V8. You could upgrade to an Explorer 8.8 with disk, but it's probably a little wider than what you have now. I think you could also put those disks or mustang rear disks on the axle you have now. you'd have to search on those though.

Long post but that's about all the help I can give you.

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
put some 3/4 ton chevy brakes on there and you will stop in no time. haha i have a buddy that did this on his 73 bronco. that thing stops when you barley tap the brake!

glfredrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You might also consider a change of master cylinder to give more clamping pressure.

Take care, bigger is not always better. Also have to consider total pressure and ratio of the pedal effort versus the pressure sent to the calipers.

I'd also consider better brake pads as the lowest cost first step. EBC and Hawk both make decent pads, and I've also used NAPA Adaptive 1 pads with good results.

Slotted and drilled rotors will not help. Good premium rotors that are solid will offer the most braking force for any given size. The slotted and drilled ones are intended for racing applications where the braking force is considerable for very short periods of time. They carve away at the brake pads and the intent is to change them out every race. I'm fairly sure that is not what you would want on the street, where conditions are somewhat different from stabbing the brakes hard into a corner for one race.

Stay away from any imported rotors you find on eBay.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Take care, bigger is not always better. Also have to consider total pressure and ratio of the pedal effort versus the pressure sent to the calipers.
On the 12" rotor option aside from using newer components nothing in the braking system changes except for the rotor. On the 13" brakes, I've heard no complaints about pedal pressure, effort, or feel most of what I've seen is that it improves.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Say Josh,

I looked over the brake kit that TeeRev makes, and I'm interested. I would like to see photos of one that's installed, if he's got any?

Also, do you know what the full price of one of these units is?

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
thanks Josh T. i didnt see his truck was a 2wd!

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think there's some installed pics in a thread over there, I'll check into it when I get home from work tonight.

As for a price, they ain't cheap. IIRC it was $450 shipped to your door. Not cheap but not bad considering that he is machining two brand new rotors into hubs, and the billet aluminum he's making the brackets from. Last time I bought set of rotors they were around a hundred a piece. I'm pretty sure that the bar stock he's buying to make the brackets isn't cheap either. When you consider the cost of running the lathe and milling to make these parts, and the fact that he has to stop regular production to make these small batches of product for us. I don't believe that he's actually making much profit off of them. All that they ask is $200 up front and the rest due on delivery.

As for the other components you'll need to complete the set-up. IIRC you'll need a set of PBR (mustang cobra) calipers, and 13" Cobra rotors. The price on these can range from mild to wild. I'd say for front brake including the above kit you could probably do the whole thing for around $800, if you shop around for parts. Probably closer to a thousand if you just go buy a cobra brake upgrade conversion kit, that includes the rotor and caliper as a set. If you wanted the rear brakes as well, I think you could do it for around a thousand if you shop around for parts, once again probably closet to $1500 if you go buy one of the brake conversion kits.

It's expensive to set-up but is probably the, top upgrade option out there right now. It'll also give you a much larger selection of rotors and pads to play around and tailor to your needs if you're into that kind of thing.

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
thought so but I was hoping. Liking the other ideas, Thanks JoshT

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i would just go custom if you really want great brakes bud

d52 type wilwood as a start....ssbc i see fitted to alot of stuff as well...

summit racing may have some cost effective solutions as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals