• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Need radio noise capacitor/supressor/condenser

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the "spark plug mod"

Popular for awhile, doesn't actually change power, although some will swear it does, lol

Fords coil packs have 2 spark plugs connected to one coil, in the 4cyl, V6 and V8s
So you only have 2 coils in each of your coil packs, that's why there is only 3 wires on each, common 12v wire and 1 ground wire for each coil in the pack

The two spark plugs are hooked up in series to the one coil
What this means is that one spark plug fires from center to tip(normal spark) and the other fires from tip to center(reverse spark)
Some one got it in their head that tip to center would be in some way weaker than center to tip, it isn't, but once in their head they ran with it, lol
The voltage at each spark plug is the same because they are both on the same coil, so one spark direction is not better than another

But what IS important is the type of spark plug you should use in this type of system
Single coated spark plugs usually have the tips coated so the tips last longer since they get the most wear in "regular spark" direction
But the other spark plug on that coil would wear like regular copper because thats what it is, no coating
So don't use single coating spark plugs, waste of money, use regular copper, no coating, or DOUBLE coating so both tip and center have the coating
Platinum or Iridium are the most popular coatings

And the above does lead to some confusion
Ford literally buys millions of spark plugs a year
And they would buy 500,000 platinum tips, and 500,000 platinum centers because it's cheaper than 1,000,000 double platinum plugs
Then install them as needed for regular spark and reverse spark directions, so same longevity as double platinum without the cost of double platinum
So when people would look up factory spark plug numbers they would see the 2 different numbers, tips and centers, lol
Because that's what was installed at the factory
You can do the same, or just use double platinum, or regular copper

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, Ron knows his stuff and says it well :)

Yeah, that "hotrod high" place has it wrong, they sound convincing until you read what Ron just said... You can mix up cylinders 1 and 4 or 2 and 3 and nothing will change, if the wires route better that way then run them that way...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the "spark plug mod"

Popular for awhile, doesn't actually change power, although some will swear it does, lol

Fords coil packs have 2 spark plugs connected to one coil, in the 4cyl, V6 and V8s
So you only have 2 coils in each of your coil packs, that's why there is only 3 wires on each, common 12v wire and 1 ground wire for each coil in the pack

The two spark plugs are hooked up in series to the one coil
What this means is that one spark plug fires from center to tip(normal spark) and the other fires from tip to center(reverse spark)
Some one got it in their head that tip to center would be in some way weaker than center to tip, it isn't, but once in their head they ran with it, lol
The voltage at each spark plug is the same because they are both on the same coil, so one spark direction is not better than another

But what IS important is the type of spark plug you should use in this type of system
Single coated spark plugs usually have the tips coated so the tips last longer since they get the most wear in "regular spark" direction
But the other spark plug on that coil would wear like regular copper because thats what it is, no coating
So don't use single coating spark plugs, waste of money, use regular copper, no coating, or DOUBLE coating so both tip and center have the coating
Platinum or Iridium are the most popular coatings

And the above does lead to some confusion
Ford literally buys millions of spark plugs a year
And they would buy 500,000 platinum tips, and 500,000 platinum centers because it's cheaper than 1,000,000 double platinum plugs
Then install them as needed for regular spark and reverse spark directions, so same longevity as double platinum without the cost of double platinum
So when people would look up factory spark plug numbers they would see the 2 different numbers, tips and centers, lol
Because that's what was installed at the factory
You can do the same, or just use double platinum, or regular copper
Dude, how does your brain hold all that? The first time I read your reply I was completely lost. Each time I read it I understand a little bit more. Those strokes I had messed up my brain but eventually I'll get it. I do have one question tho, I'm confused about the three wires...what three wires exactly are you referring to? The only wires I see are the 4 plug wires on each pack. Oh, by the way I'm running copper plugs on both sides. If the double platinum would make any difference I'll get some.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
On my '90 it came with two, one on each coil pack. Honestly I don't think I'm running any anymore, I don't have any radio noise but don't have an antenna and haven't tried FM in a while let alone AM...

on the '90 they came with two mounts, one on the passenger side in the very top front and one on the drivers side back behind the alternator if I remember right (I'm only running the passenger side coil now).
Heck fire man, nothing wrong with a little sarcasm from time to time. I'm a bit of a smart ass myself (or at least that's what I'm told. Have a goodun!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Each of this model coil pack has a 3 wire plug on the side, and 4 spark plug wires on the top

Double platinum just last longer that regular copper, no other difference, in performance or MPG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
Each of this model coil pack has a 3 wire plug on the side, and 4 spark plug wires on the top

Double platinum just last longer that regular copper, no other difference, in performance or MPG
Don't I feel stupid, I forgot about the wires that plug in the side. Feel free to call me a DA (and I don't mean district attorney). Don't really care about the life span of the plugs, I will only be driving the truck from time to time anyway, it's not my daily driver. Thanx again Ron for the info. Now maybe you can understand why my user name is Absoloot Loonasea. Have a good nite. Loonasea

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals