• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need parts opinions, blew up my engine...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I drove the ranger there 3 years in a row I think, or was it 4? I don't know anymore... but the previous 2 years and this year the Ranger will be trailered there with the F350, it's a safer proposition... Yes it is a ways out there but it's a good place to spend some time every now and then, lots of dunes and some trail riding, and bunny hunting...

redhurricane, I'm sure I'll like it, I wish I had the parts to put it in now but I'll get there soon, I'll get this turbo set up completely soon and maybe I'll take the time to redo the exhaust.

The turbo I have seems to be a decent fit, I just have the wastegate plumbed in to the outlet of the turbo, I set the linkage with just 1/2 turn of preload and it's pushing 5psi so I'll keep turning it in and stop it at around 15psi for now, seems to be decent response.

It's starting to run better now, I put about 5 miles on it tonight after I made the linkage to make the parking brake work, first time since 2010 that I've had a parking brake :)

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I needed a replacement WG actuator for my holset, and did some looking around- ended up spending the money for the turbosmart iwg75 with an 18# spring set in it. LOVE it, will build boost right to 18 and stop. No manual boost controller. Might do an electric BC valve at some point to tune with in megasquirt, but for now it's running great.

Something to consider over the preload settings on the WG.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I think that's why I'm getting stuck at 6psi with my current wastegate... the actuator... I started off at 1/2 turn preload which was like 4psi, I'm at 2 turns preload right now and I'm at 6, so I imagine it's a 6psi actuator... It'll do 6psi at 2000rpm through at least 4000rpm so it doesn't sound like the turbo like I originally thought. I have some ideas to try to trick it and will give that a try...

That said, it's running pretty good right now, I was worried on Saturday as it was missing pretty good, then I got some fresh gas in it and it smoothed out. I think it was a combination of the 6 month old gas, a sticky injector and probably a sticky lash adjuster since there was a lot of top end noise... It starts right up and goes pretty decent, but it's a lot doggier than I'm used to, there's a big difference between 6psi and 12psi :)

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When i moved over to the holset, I didn't look closely at the boost reference elbow on the compressor- this came off a cummins diesel, and the previous owner created a boost controller by reducing the ID on the brass elbow to about .063". Needless to say we spiked to 30psi almost instantly with the stock 23# actuator. Either spring for the adjustable wastegate, or use a manual boost controller. I like the WG personally, and the spring combinations can get you from 3# to 25# in 2-3# increments.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm gonna screw with making orifices in the reference line and maybe a bleed hole after an orifice if I have to, sounds simple and should be effective. I am a cheap bastard, so I have to try the cheap/free things first :)

It's running pretty good, does have some funky stuff going on before it warms up, notably the 80psi oil pressure until it warms up (with 10-30 full synthetic too...), and rough running and rich condition at the same time... The oil pressure when warm is good and normal from what I remember since it's about 30psi hot idle and ~50psi hot cruise (~3000rpm)

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am not going to use my gillis valve anymore, if you want it. $20 shipped. Better design than just a bleed hole.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Sounds good to me, email sent...

Moosinatrix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey your build sounds and looks awesome, im going turbo with my 88 ranger and am having trouble in my parts hunt and fully understanding which parts will work with the others, i.e. lean/rich conditions, as well as what to look for in the tear down and rebuld process. Any insight or parts you would be wiling to part with, would be greatly appreciated

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey your build sounds and looks awesome, im going turbo with my 88 ranger and am having trouble in my parts hunt and fully understanding which parts will work with the others, i.e. lean/rich conditions, as well as what to look for in the tear down and rebuld process. Any insight or parts you would be wiling to part with, would be greatly appreciated
Where are you located and what are you looking for parts wise?

Moosinatrix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Where are you located and what are you looking for parts wise?
Livingston, Texas

I have an 88 TC engine i believe, im bout to do a remain on it, and slap in my 88 ranger.

all i have is the complete TC engine, dont have any wiring or VAM and ECU i think the wastegate is stuck on the down pipe cuz i cant actuate it by hand. my fuel pump on the truck is pretty weak so i need another one of those.

can i use my N/a brown top injectors, rail and regulator???
the set that was on the TC engine was full of rust.. i pretty much call it a lost cause with cleaning them.

will N/a 2.3 ranger radiator be enough?? can i use my N/a ECU which doesnt have VAM or knock sensor, without creating a lean condition throughout range?

again thank you for insight and any parts you have available.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
You would need a TC ECU and brown top fuel injectors. The factory ranger injectors (Not sure of the flow) will more than likely will not flow enough to keep up with a usable amount of boost. Also the stock 2.3 rad will be enough in a cooler climate, IFFFF it's in good shape and not half plugged because it's probably 20 years old. I would go with a rad from a 4.0.

Moosinatrix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You would need a TC ECU and brown top fuel injectors. The factory ranger injectors (Not sure of the flow) will more than likely will not flow enough to keep up with a usable amount of boost. Also the stock 2.3 rad will be enough in a cooler climate, IFFFF it's in good shape and not half plugged because it's probably 20 years old. I would go with a rad from a 4.0.
My ranger injectors are brown top.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Livingston, Texas

I have an 88 TC engine i believe, im bout to do a remain on it, and slap in my 88 ranger.

all i have is the complete TC engine, dont have any wiring or VAM and ECU i think the wastegate is stuck on the down pipe cuz i cant actuate it by hand. my fuel pump on the truck is pretty weak so i need another one of those.

can i use my N/a brown top injectors, rail and regulator???
the set that was on the TC engine was full of rust.. i pretty much call it a lost cause with cleaning them.

will N/a 2.3 ranger radiator be enough?? can i use my N/a ECU which doesnt have VAM or knock sensor, without creating a lean condition throughout range?

again thank you for insight and any parts you have available.
ecu/harness/injectors can be found on junkyard cars, turbo coupes tend to show now and again, or get on turboford.org, or the turboford facebook page. Always people selling used parts.

an inline 255lph pump on the frame is a quick way to get pressure and volume.

radiator may be sufficient, or the 4.0 radiator is a good swap- I bought a NEW all aluminum 2 core radiator for under $150.

I don't think I have anything you need, what I have left is a TC short block and head (all need rebuilding) and some IC silicone elbows and tubing.

Moosinatrix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What shape is the head in, my can it flat on one side of the lobes.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
head is bare, no valves, springs, cam, etc. and would need a complete clean and rebuild. If your head is usable, swap the cam with a ranger roller, and some comp 990 springs.

Ranger roller cam is a cheap and easy swap. I have a set of early cast rollers if you need them, and there are always rangers at the JY if you want me to grab a cam- $100 shipped for cam including followers and a valve cover gasket.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals