• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need parts opinions, blew up my engine...

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also, you might consider going to a 3" downpipe and a 3" exhaust...you'll like the difference just that makes.
this.

I just finished my exhaust this weekend and HO-LEE-COW is there a difference in spool time, throttle response, and HP. :icon_surprised:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm thinking of skipping the new pistons and boring but going to the 3" exhaust to get my low end, and just get a turbo reworked or something while it's apart... it really was working well.

Bigger exhaust, LA3, and a couple other things should get it going pretty good.

Edgefevah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Birds heads, JBA headers and 2.5" exhaust sure opened up my 4.0 OHV ranger. I'd love to see what it felt like with a turbo attached.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
larger power can be achieved with more mods, but with what your goals are I agree- stick to the brown tops and vam/factory eec. the intercooler, porting of head and E6 (or log header for even better performance)

you want as little backpressure as possible. I just bought one of these and am installing this weekend as 3" from housing to bumper. Should breathe just fine. I previously had the stock cast elbow.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-067&Category_Code=ATP-FLS4

and this
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-091&Category_Code=ATP-FLS4
FYI, the 5 bolt flange and elbow will be up for sale soon, I decided to go with a Holset now. the 3" flange made a HUGE difference in spool time and low end grunt pre-spool.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Hmm... probably interested, it'll be about a month before I can tear into this thing... gotta get some work done on the garage before I'll let myself make more of a mess :)

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm a month out on pulling it- have to make a log header still. If you're not in a rush, I'll probably still have it.

this thing is BIG. 4" exhaust outlet.

Attachments

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Same turbo I have on my '91

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've been slacking... too many dang projects...

I finally got the short block on the engine stand tonight, it has a spun rod bearing on #4, and the rod is stretched in the bearing area, the rod looks to have taken all of the wear but I will measure tomorrow to be sure, I have more pistons/rods floating around. The rest of the bearings show wear but so far as long as the crank is ok, it looks like I'll be getting somewhere soon...

redhurricane, you still have that outlet housing? If you do, shoot me an email...

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been slacking... too many dang projects...

I finally got the short block on the engine stand tonight, it has a spun rod bearing on #4, and the rod is stretched in the bearing area, the rod looks to have taken all of the wear but I will measure tomorrow to be sure, I have more pistons/rods floating around. The rest of the bearings show wear but so far as long as the crank is ok, it looks like I'll be getting somewhere soon...

redhurricane, you still have that outlet housing? If you do, shoot me an email...
Interestingly enough, I DO still have it and I just pulled it off the truck a day ago. I can cut the down pipe off and get it in a USPS flat rate if that works for you, has an o2 bung high in the downpipe as well. How's $100 shipped sound?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Sounds good, give me a few days if that's ok... I don't expect to even get my old engine out until next weekend... tonight I clean up the replacement short block to see if it the crank is ok...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ouch, just ordered parts... $335ish but that includes rings, bearings, gaskets, oil pump, window seals, serp belt for my on board air compressor, timing belt... RockAuto has gone downhill in the parts availability department in the last couple years... barely any 2.3L parts to be had...

That and I found out the crank in my donor block is shot, the #4 rod race is .010" smaller than the rest, and the #1 race is scored... Time to dig into my spare parts crate which is unfortunately buried by a WHOLE BUNCH of junk...

We'll see if I can get this thing running by the end of January :)

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not a problem, I have a spare crank if you need one as well.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have the same stuff on mine, it keeps melting off :), while the engine is out I'll ziptie or pop rivet the stuff on...

Ok, rod bolts came in today, gotta borrow the hone from work this weekend and there's a chance I'll get the engine assembled this weekend!

Oh, I told redhurricane, but I pulled the engine last weekend and found the rod bolts on the #3 cylinder broke causing all sorts of trouble... only real stupid sucky thing is it put a hole in my ultra rare 4x4 2.3L aluminum oil pan right behind the starter... so aluminum plate, screws/nuts and ultra black it is!

Also, I found my good crankshaft so I'm good to go there, just have a lot of time in swapping crap from one engine to the other to do, and crossing my fingers that the cylinder head survived this fiasco...

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine does not appear to have any melting problems, so I must have had more clearance than you did. I did the cut/flip modification to the box with JB weld, and it's been fine. the heat shield stuff was just added insurance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals