• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need new water pump

Chris88GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
First post here.

I'm familiar with Fords, specifically Mustangs, and just picked up my 89 Bronco II the other week.

Anyway, I have a pretty good drip coming out of the weep hole on the water pump. Looks to be factory original (172k). I was planning on just getting a parts store new OEM quality unit, but wanted to check if anyone had any bad experiences with any certain ones. Or on the other hand if anyone knew of a certain one that flows more than the stocker, etc.

Thanks,

Chris

loneranger48

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L of FUry!
Transmission
Manual
i never had a problem with just a regular replacement pump but you have to be careful no to break the studs that go thru the timing cover because once that happens it gets more expensive.Typical 2.9 problem.

Chris88GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the heads up

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Read this about rust penatraters

February 2, 2008Machinist's Workshop V20 number 2, April/May 2007, page 35Article: “Testing Penetrating oils”This reports a test of penetrating oils where they measuredthe force required to loosen rusty test devices. Thedetails reported here were validated by the originalarticle author. He also added some details on the methods.You must buy the issue if you want to see how they did thetest. The back issue is available for purchase.The table below extracts the results table The lower thenumber of pounds the better. Interesting that a simple mixof acetone and power steering fluid (PSF) works the best!Penetrating oil - Average load -Price per fluid ounceNone ...............516 pounds -- 0WD-40 ..............238 pounds --$0.25PB Blaster..........214 pounds --$0.35Liquid Wrench ......127 pounds --$0.21Kano Kroil .........106 pounds --$0.75PSF-Acetone mix ....53 pounds ---$0.10 (50/50 mix)Note from original article author:1) These are loads required to free the test piece after8 hours of immersion in penetrating oil. This isprobably not representative of a quick squirt justbefore a wrench is applied.2) The original article states ATF was used in the DIYmix. It was actually PSF. Got me thinking of mixing some PSF and acetone and putting it in a spray bottle....

Warning acetone is extremly flamable

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I always purchase the store brand with the lifetime warranty.. Never had a bad one yet.
Big JIm

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would probably get a brand name I bet an acdelco is $50 and a generic is $30. They are a pain to change so get the brand name. And obviously new bolts and don't forget some might come with a pulley and some don't

Chris88GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Just an update, did the swap this weekend.

I had very good luck with the bolts; nothing stuck or stripped. All and all no real problems other than having to break out the strap wrench and the vice grips to get the fan off. Also, for some reason I couldn't get the A/C to pivot like it was supposed to, must have missed a bolt somewhere.

Now if I could just get the radiator leaks patched... Thanks for the help/advice

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
thanks for posting a conclusion . what brand waterpump did you use and how much was it.thx

Chris88GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
It was a Duralast brand from Autozone. I had a $15 gift certificate so it cost me like $32, normal is $47. Looks to be a quality part. Brand new, comes with gasket and "limited lifetime" warranty. Looks to be just as nice as the Ford Racing high flow unit I put on my Mustang a while back.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Me too!

It was a Duralast brand from Autozone. I had a $15 gift certificate so it cost me like $32, normal is $47. Looks to be a quality part. Brand new, comes with gasket and "limited lifetime" warranty. Looks to be just as nice as the Ford Racing high flow unit I put on my Mustang a while back.
That's the one I would have purchased.. Now get that radiator swapped out before someone fries the heads.
Big JIm:wub::hottubfun:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals