• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need new speaker recommendations

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking to replace all of the speakers in my 1988 ranger extended cab. The two up in each corner of the dash, and the two that are behind the driver seat and passenger seat. I want top tier speakers that can get really loud without getting fuzzy. Any recommendations??

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Are you running the stock radio or a high end aftermarket radio? If you're not running the high end radio, some good quality speaker would be just fine.

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Are you running the stock radio or a high end aftermarket radio? If you're not running the high end radio, some good quality speaker would be just fine.
Right now I'm running some sony head unit that isn't blue tooth. I use an aux blue tooth receiver to play my music. What do you think about it?

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@johndough,

I need to identify myself as an audio snob.

You need to divulge your:
1) budget
2) primary type/genre of music to be played
3) how loud or how clean you desire the music/sound.
With those 3 bits of info, your question can be more easily answered.

Though what you are describing as sounding fuzzy, leads me to believe that you were hearing an amplifyer clip, not necessarily a bad speaker.

Amplifiers make sine waves with both positive and negative power slopes. If an amplifier is driven at too high a level the tops and the bottoms of the sine waves get "clipped" off and when the speakers are forced to make that clipped sine wave audible, it is an undesirable and "fuzzy" sound.

Another way driver's can sound fuzzy is when a small driver that is designed to reproduce high frequency sounds is forced to reproduce low and super low frequencies or to a somewhat lesser extent, vice versa. There are solutions for all of these circumstances.

Last edited:

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Looking forward to this one...following.

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
@johndough,

I need to identify myself as an audio snob.

You need to divulge your:
1) budget
2) primary type/genre of music to be played
3) how loud or how clean you desire the music/sound.
With those 3 bits of info, your question can be more easily answered.

Though what you are describing as sounding fuzzy, leads me to believe that you were hearing an amplifyer clip, not necessarily a bad speaker.

Amplifiers make sine waves with both positive and negative power slopes. If an amplifier is driven at too high a level the tops and the bottoms of the sine waves get "clipped" off and when the speakers are forced to make that clipped sine wave audible, it is an undesirable and "fuzzy" sound.

Another way driver's can sound fuzzy is when a small driver that is designed to reproduce high frequency sounds is forced to reproduce low and super low frequencies or to a somewhat lesser extent, vice versa. There are solutions for all of these circumstances.
1. I don't really know what to set my budget, as I don't know much about audio (obviously). I would probably be willing to spend whatever and I would just get each piece you recommend either all at once or one piece at a time over a certain time period.
2. I literally listen to all types of music. Old country, rock,metal, hip hop, a pretty wide variety of genres.
3. I'd like it really loud, but also really clean. I know that's probably expensive but that's what I like 🤷‍♂️

I feel I should also point this out, I am running 2 12" Memphis subs with a 600 watt memphis amp (in my 88 extended cab)

Looking forward to your response.

Last edited:

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
From my experience, Pioneer speakers have served me quite well. They have different styles that work based on the power that you plan on pushing through them. If you get a 4 channel amp, you would probably be best to go with the A series speakers. If you just want to keep the sony head unit you have (I don't know what power output it has), Pioneer makes the G series speakers.

My 09 has the pioneer upgraded audio package that has a subwoofer in the center console. I removed the factory Ford speakers and installed 4 G series TS-G6820S in their place. Plug and play with adapters, for less than $80. The sound is pretty darn good for the price.

I am curious to see how you make out.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
@johndough,

Those 3 questions have answers and they are critical to any recommendations.

Two Memphis 12's in a pickup, that is a system that I suspect will all ready rattle your license plate.

I would use a pair of separates, 6½ mid-bass in the doors with the tweeters in the dash speaker locations.

A good sounding system has to have balance, I use a simple 34%(R+L) to one (sub power) formula:
Sub amp power wrms/3= R+L power level or 150wrms/ch sub amp ÷ 3 = 50wrms/ch for the Right and Left (main) channels.

I am uncertain of the actual power of your Memphis amp but:
• if it's 150wrms/ch, then I would use a clean 2ch with 50-60wrms and an active crossover for the mid to sub, passive crossovers for the mid to tweet.
• if your Memphis is 300wrms, then I would step it up to either a 2x100 or a 4x50wrms that likes to be bridged and run it bridged at 100wrms to the separates.
• if you have 600wrms going to each 12", then 200wrms/ch to the separates.

You certainly can't go wrong with Memphis drivers but I would audition the speakers and select based on how the sound appeals to my ears. I would sample my 3 absolute favorite songs, since you have the bottom end wrapped up in Memphis.

For the power level of the mid bass, I chose a driver that can handle the power I'm giving it without overdriving it. If I'm using 50/ch to mains, then I need driver's rated at 50wrms, then dial those channels back a hair on the gain so they never distort. I would expect the sub-mid crossover point to be between 80 and 120hz, depending on the mid-bass driver selection and power level. I like the way a passive crossovers blends between the mid and tweets so I always go that way.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sound be darned, do you want the dash ones to fit below the grilles?

That is going to be critical because most aftermarket speakers don't... and those that do won't be super awesome anyway.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
@85_Ranger4x4 ,
I have only ever used just the tweeters from a set of separates in my dash, under the grills; they are only 1" diameter, so plenty of room to fit.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know it is hard to find regular speakers that fit there nowadays

Ozuye10

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Is it worth just swapping out the door speakers with some 6x8 pioneers? I’m doing sound deadening in my doors right now and was thinking about that while I’ve got it ripped apart.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals