• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need new shocks all around - should I replace anything else?

deeman

Reaction score
Make / Model
2008 Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I plan to install new front / rear shocks on my 2008 XLT 2WD. It has 120k on the odometer and I don't think the PO did any suspension upgrades as part of normal maintenance.
I'm not looking to do a lift at this point, but perhaps a leveler lift soon.

Two questions:

1. I may have some heavy-ish gear in the bed of the truck - nothing crazy maybe 500-600lbs. What front and rear shock do you recommend? I've like Bilstien's in the past. KYB's?
2. Are there other items I should plan to replace while I am in there? There does not seem to be any issues with the suspension.

Thanks!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I like KYB's... but I had one Mono Max fail. We will see...

If you just bought it... I would take a solid look at all of it. Steering... brakes... and suspension.

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
A vehicle's springs hold the weight of the vehicle. The shocks/struts control the movement of those springs. 5-600 lb doesn't sound like a lot if you had a full size truck. That's almost half of the Ranger's capacity. I would look into helper springs to correct ride height.

As far as what to replace a good rule of thumb is to grab any suspension/steering components you can and give them a good shake. If they're loose, replace them. Before you take the wheel off, after you get it in the air, grab the wheel at multiple/opposite ends and try to rock it. If you hear/feel anything move replace that. Look for grease/rips/tears around boots. Replace if necessary.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I almost always find that my sway bar links and bushings need to be replaced about the same time my shocks do, but a visual and shakey test will tell you all you need to know about what's ready for replacement and whats not. There is no standard replacement interval for steering and suspension parts, you just check them and replace as needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals