• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Need major help

Redmans1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I have a 2004 ford ranger 5speed and there is a few different things that I need to address and get fixed if at all possible and don't know what to do or exactly where to start so the first thing is I went to change the spark plugs and found oil on them. I know that's not supose to be there so what could be the cause of it and what do I need to do to fix that issue? Then my gear shift when I go to shifting my vehicle it's as if the gears have moved or I can't seem to put it into gear with out a struggle or having to twist the gear shift towards the bottom before it will get into gear what is the cause of that? If some one could please help me I would appreciate it.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Was the oil just on the spark plug tips, or were they just covered in oil all over?

If it's the latter, your valve cover gaskets are leaking. When the seals on the valve cover fail the spark plug wells fill up with oil. It's a fairly common problem but not at all fun to fix.

Can't help on the other issue, I'm not a manual transmission guy.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
oil in the plug wells is no big deal. just remove it occasionally.

ever wonder what's inside all those electrical transformers you see?? oil, albeit a special type of transformer oil.

on the gear shifter, start by lifting the boot to inspect the bolt holding the lever to the stub,
if the stub is floppity the problem is inside the tranny, I too will defer to the tranny guys on that.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yup, before I replaced my valve cover gasket I would occasionally just roll up a paper towel and stick it down the spark plug wells to suck up the oil. If anything it helps keep the spark plugs from getting any corrosion so they are easier to remove. :icon_rofl:

Last edited:

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I had something similar happen on my 01 manual. Flushing the clutch fluid helped a lot and then when I got a new motor, a new transmission mount made it feel even better. I also changed to synthetic manual transmission fluid (whatever it calls for) and that helped even more.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals