• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need major help

Chuckyc19977

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 splash 3.0 5 speed .... the truck turns over and idles and hell runs down the road then stops after a few min i can start it again but with trouble almost like it isnt getting gas once it gets going qgain it spits and spuuders and back fires.... i put a new fuel pump in it a new fuel filter new plugs and plug wires.... i have noticed it sounds like my exhaust is going not sure if that has anything to do with it..... but I need mqjor help I start a new job making good money and I need this thing fixed

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

On cold start a Fuel injected engine should REV up to about 1,500rpm(don't touch the gas pedal)
Then should idle down to about 1,000rpms depending on outside temp, warmer temp lower RPM
As engine warms up RPMs at idle should drop and after 5min or so they will be at 700-750 on a 1994 3.0l manual trans

If this is not happening then it could be 3 things
1. ECT sensor, it tells computer engine is cold so computer sets "the Choke", which is high idle and Rich fuel mix
2. IAC Valve, computer uses this to set idle, its open all the way when cranking engine so engine REVs to 1,500 when it starts, then computer closes it a bit to set cold idle of 1,000rpms or so

3. spark timing, you have a distributor in a 1994 3.0l Ranger and you need to set spark timing manually, using a timing light
You have a remote mounted TFI(ICM) module, it has a SPOUT connector that needs to be unplugged to set timing

Fuel system
On the engine is the FPR(fuel pressure regulator), it has the RETURN fuel line attached and a vacuum hose
Pull off the vacuum hose and check it for gasoline, shouldn't be any, of course, if so replace it
There are two fuel lines coming in from drivers side of engine bay, follow both to the engine and you will find the FPR, looks like a small "can"

Chuckyc19977

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I just replaced the icm this time last year do you think it went bad qlreqdy?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What were the symptoms last year?

Chuckyc19977

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Almost the same thing just not the same i would get it running it would shut off after a few sec come to find out the distributor got knocked out of time some how when i changed the plugs and cap i replaced alot of parts last year till i fogured that out thats why when u mentioned getting it back in time I was like oh yea im gonna do that first

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If its backfiring its almost guranteed to be timing.

Chuckyc19977

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok spout is disconnected and im getting it back to top dead center and im gonna put cap on with number 1 on the cap over the pieces then I just turn rotor till it comes back up to idling correctly right and if i get a timing gun where do I connect it to the number 1 plug wire that goes into the plug or the part that goes into the cap?

Chuckyc19977

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Also once it comes back up to running right i reinsert the spout correct

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, timing light connects to #1 spark plug wire, and to battery for power

With spout connector removed you time the engine to 10-12deg BTDC
Take a scotchbrite or similar to clean the degree markings on the pulley
You can put some white paint on a rag tip and rub it into the degree markings, they are recessed so when you wipe it off the paint will high light the recessed marks

You need to time the engine after its warmed up, so set timing so it starts up and then let it idle for 5 mins, then you can shut it off and get set up to do the timing
Most prefer 12deg BTDC

When you plug in the Spout connector timing should advance to about 20deg BTDC

You use the POINTER, and NOT the EYE to set timing, the eye was for a Ford timing tool, a holder for it

Chuckyc19977

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok right now having trouble getting it to stay running long enough to warm up

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Cold engine needs to be "choked" which is something the computer does, so leave SPOUT connected and try to find the place, by turning distributor, where is does stay running

Engine stalling or not staying running is not a spark issue unless distributor, coil, or TFI module is bad
Spark timing makes an engine run better, more efficient, and more power
You have about 25deg where an engine will start and run, just not have power or good MPG

Chuckyc19977

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok and once warms up turn truck off qnd unplug spout?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, once its warmed up shut it off, unplug SPOUT, hook up timing light, loosen distributor bolt and restart

If you are getting misfires or timing light doesn't have a steady pulse, then there is another issue, could be rotor or coil or module
Spark pulse should be steady, no drops
You can use a timing light on any of the spark plug wires to test for a steady pulse, not for timing just to test that, that cylinder is getting spark like it should, steady flash of the light
It obvious when its not steady

Chuckyc19977

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok gonna give it a shot thabks for the help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals