• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need info

97FR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone hope I'm doing this right I'm new to this I'm planning to do the 5.0 swap in my 97 Ranger 2 wheel drive I'm going with a carbureted crate engine and I would like to use a T5 transmission is it a lot of work to do this conversion

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i haven't done it but having done them in other vehicles, to me its a lot of work.

do you guys not have emission inspections? i think that by law you have to put a same year, or newer year model engine in on a swap, is why i ask. i don't know how they find that out though.

i know that here, people do put carb'd engines into fuel injected trucks and can get away with it if they live in one of the counties where they do visual inspections for emissions. if it had to be hooked to a machine, they would not pass inspection.

i put a 302 into an 87 wrangler. it wasn't terrible but it wasn't easy so i imagine it comparable to putting a 302 into a ranger. a buddy put a 302 in his ranger and said it was not hard

97FR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
i haven't done it but having done them in other vehicles, to me its a lot of work.

do you guys not have emission inspections? i think that by law you have to put a same year, or newer year model engine in on a swap, is why i ask. i don't know how they find that out though.

i know that here, people do put carb'd engines into fuel injected trucks and can get away with it if they live in one of the counties where they do visual inspections for emissions. if it had to be hooked to a machine, they would not pass inspection.

i put a 302 into an 87 wrangler. it wasn't terrible but it wasn't easy so i imagine it comparable to putting a 302 into a ranger. a buddy put a 302 in his ranger and said it was not hard

Thanks for the info I'm in South Carolina there's no emission inspection I'm going to give it a try in a month or two and thank you for your service

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I ve done it in my current 87 2wd ranger.i worked on it for just over 2 yrs now and I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.But I wasn't working on it non stop either.Only worked on it when I had time.I got alot of my info from the great people from this very forum.Without these guys I probably wouldn't of gotten it done.Do your research before u pull the trigger then u can decide.Good luck.Remember to post some pics,like to see your progress.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Good page to Bookmark here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Look in the Engine section or Conversion section for V8 swap information, been done alot

The T5s are fine to use, but a T5 truck shifter comes up farther forward on Ranger, and the T5 from car(Mustang) comes up farther back
So you will need to cut open the floor a bit for either, and bend the shifter arm a bit for clearance

The M5OD-R2(M5R2) transmission from a 1996 to 2003 2wd F-150 with 4.2l V6 will have same shifter placement as the M5R1 that came in Rangers
The newer 4.2l V6 has the same bellhousing pattern as the 302/5.0l, you will need to drill out the 6 holes an 1/8" as they are metric size and the 302 used SAE, not a big deal just a heads up
The M5R2 is the bigger version of the M5R1, made for V8 power, and a good transmission, like the M5R1

97FR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
I ve done it in my current 87 2wd ranger.i worked on it for just over 2 yrs now and I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.But I wasn't working on it non stop either.Only worked on it when I had time.I got alot of my info from the great people from this very forum.Without these guys I probably wouldn't of gotten it done.Do your research before u pull the trigger then u can decide.Good luck.Remember to post some pics,like to see your progress.

97FR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Good page to Bookmark here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Look in the Engine section or Conversion section for V8 swap information, been done alot

The T5s are fine to use, but a T5 truck shifter comes up farther forward on Ranger, and the T5 from car(Mustang) comes up farther back
So you will need to cut open the floor a bit for either, and bend the shifter arm a bit for clearance

The M5OD-R2(M5R2) transmission from a 1996 to 2003 2wd F-150 with 4.2l V6 will have same shifter placement as the M5R1 that came in Rangers
The newer 4.2l V6 has the same bellhousing pattern as the 302/5.0l, you will need to drill out the 6 holes an 1/8" as they are metric size and the 302 used SAE, not a big deal just a heads up
The M5R2 is the bigger version of the M5R1, made for V8 power, and a good transmission, like the M5R1

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals