• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NEED HELP

Deano3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
If there was any kind of bigger issue the motor would of made some crazy racket if the cam shaft sheared or distributor itself did right?

Deano3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
20210912_131624.jpg

Here it is gonna set me back 130$ but I gotta have it asap

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does the shaft spin, or is it locked up?

If shaft spins, pound out the gear's roll pin and remove the gear
Put distributor back in, with no gear, and see if you can turn it, i.e. turn the oil pump

If oil pump was what locked up then you will break the gear on new distributor
Oil pump lock up will, of course, be a bigger deal to change

Last edited:

Deano3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
So
Does the shaft spin, or is it locked up?

If shaft spins, pound out the gear's roll pin and remove the gear
Put distributor back in, with no gear, and see if you can turn it, i.e. turn the oil pump

If oil pump was what locked up then you will break the gear on new distributor
Oil pump locked up it will, of course, be a bigger deal to change
Ok so we are on the same page real quick I took the distributor out and teeth on the gear was sheared off I priced a new one for 120$ so what should I do punch the roll pin out and put it back in and see if it will turn the oil pump gear ? I hope my oil pump didn't decide to go my check oil light came on a week ago anytime it's ever done that was because I needed to add a lil oil cause I had a slight leak at my rear main I asked a mechanic buddy of my uncle and he told me to put thus additive I can't remember but he swore by it and it slowed it to almost no leaking at all

Deano3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
So
Ok so we are on the same page real quick I took the distributor out and teeth on the gear was sheared off I priced a new one for 120$ so what should I do punch the roll pin out and put it back in and see if it will turn the oil pump gear ? I hope my oil pump didn't decide to go my check oil light came on a week ago anytime it's ever done that was because I needed to add a lil oil cause I had a slight leak at my rear main I asked a mechanic buddy of my uncle and he told me to put thus additive I can't remember but he swore by it and it slowed it to almost no leaking at all
To be honest when I pulled the distributor out and it did turn a little bit by hand is that what you mean try by hand

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When its out the distributor shaft should spin easily

There are no "points/lobes" to slow it down its just a shaft with bushings

Unfortunately if it does spin easily then oil pump is looking like the issue, it would be long odds that the gear decided to fail after 20+ years

If old distributor shaft is hard to turn or sticks then shaft is the most likely issue and new distributor is all you need

Trying to spin oil pump is always a good idea, just to be sure its not the problem

Deano3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
When its out the distributor shaft should spin easily

There are no "points/lobes" to slow it down its just a shaft with bushings

Unfortunately if it does spin easily then oil pump is looking like the issue, it would be long odds that the gear decided to fail after 20+ years

If old distributor shaft is hard to turn or sticks then shaft is the most likely issue and new distributor is all you need

Trying to spin oil pump is always a good idea, just to be sure its not the problem
Sounds good to me then cause there c wasn't any free play in I c and I couldn't spin it freely plus the teeth were sheared on distributor

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals