• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Help

BroncDueceLV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
I've had my Bronco 2 for a few months now and have been trying to do most the problem diagnosis and repairs myself, however, I have very little mechanical experience. I have an 88 manual 2WD Bronco 2 with no modifications and I was wondering if anyone new where to start looking with the following problems:

Speedo and Odometer randomly stopped working, all other electronics seem fine.

Oil pressure runs a little high (close to max) especially at highway speeds. I had an oil change a few days ago and it did not help.

Truck recently (2 weeks ago) began rumbling at idle, when I first bought it this was never an issue.

Occasionally coming out of first the truck gets close to stalling, this issue seems to go away after it runs awhile.

The speakers blast a lot of fuzzy interference.

Engine Block appears moist, maybe needs to gaskets? but I do not get drips below the vehicle.

I have replaced the battery, the upper radiator hose, the oil pressure sender, the multifunction switch, and a vacuum hose going from the fuel pressure regulator to the engine. Otherwise the vehicle is completely stock as far as I know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Speedometer is mechanical cable on the '88, so could be the cable or gear in trans.
If it has Cruise control the cable runs to it in the engine compartment and then to the gauge.
Odometer runs off same cable.

'88 should have an oil pressure switch not a sender, it closes above 6 psi of pressure, so grounds the gauge, if oil pressure is above 6 psi then gauge just sits in the middle, if it moves at all that would be from the electrical system changing voltage, not oil pressure changing.
Gauge is essentially an idiot light with a needle instead of a bulb :)
Make sure you got the right "sender".

The TFI ignition system can get flaky when it gets older, always good to run a test on it when engine power has issues:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.html

Audio system can be effected by the spark system, does audio sound funny with engine off?
Could just be antenna is loose or disconnected as well

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The "rumbling" could be a lot of things, an exhaust leak perhaps? Even a pinhole will make a noticeable difference.

Factory speakers were pretty terrible in the 80's, mine are literally falling apart. The paper cones turned to dust. Dirt and stuff collect on top of them too so you may have some buildup... just replace them with something better.

BroncDueceLV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all of the help!

So apparently the vacuum line I replaced connected to the fuel pressure regulator is never supposed to have gasoline in it, which it did, which is how I found out it was cracked and why I replaced it. Told you I wasn't mechanically inclined. Anyway... the gas was in the vacuum hose due to a faulty fuel pressure regulator. I replaced the regulator and the bronc is purring like a kitten, no chugging or rumbling.

Do I need to get under the truck to access the transfer case where the speedo cable is located? How do I find it?

I will fidget with my speakers on a day off and see if I can figure out what is wrong.

Thanks again for all the assistance!

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
The diaphragm in the FPR had a hole. Used to be a problem with mechanical fuel pumps. The vacuum will add extra fuel to the intake. Check the dipstick for gas. If the oil level is high, the oil runs off the stick rapidly, you can smell gas or are able to light the stick on fire, then the oil is gassed. Change it ASAP. Not only does your rig run better, the MPG will go up a little too :D

Those gas issues mentioned above. were from the days of yore, When engines had mechanical fuel pumps, carbs with hand chokes, 6 volt Positive ground ignition systems. etc. :D

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals