• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help

beckalb95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So this is my first post here and I need helping figuring out whats wrong with my transmission, It wont shift past 2nd gear and I just replaced the vacuum modulator but that didn't make a difference, so any ideas about what might the problem could be would be very helpful.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I imagine you checked the rest of the vacuum line for cracks, rubs and burns?

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
welcome! post this in the trany section with what kinda of trany it is and someone will probably be able to give you some ideas.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Probably an A4LD, trans code would be "T" if so. Those sometimes had 3-4 shift inhibit solinoid problems. The auto trans folks will know more and post up pretty quick here. Welcome

beckalb95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for replying so fast and I did check the line and it had a little bit of cracks in it but they didn't look like they punctured threw the hose. Even if there was a small hole that I couldn't see would that little vacuum leak be enough for the tranny not to shift, and it is a 4ld?

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for replying so fast and I did check the line and it had a little bit of cracks in it but they didn't look like they punctured threw the hose. Even if there was a small hole that I couldn't see would that little vacuum leak be enough for the tranny not to shift, and it is a 4ld?
A small hole in a little tiny vacuum line is a big leak. If you have cracks where you can see you may have more where you can't, in that case I would replace it for good measure. Just get it by the foot at the parts store.

beckalb95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I'll try that out tomorrow, and is there any specific spot to adjust the vacuum modulator to, and when I pull it out of the transmission is ATF supposed to come out aswell?

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok I'll try that out tomorrow, and is there any specific spot to adjust the vacuum modulator to, and when I pull it out of the transmission is ATF supposed to come out aswell?
The modulator has an o-ring seal so yes it stops fluid. I never put one on an A4LD but it looks like you just orient the vacuum tube the same, my manual said just install it with its clamp and bolt lol.

Some pics n prices.

Here:http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Transmission+Parts/C0073/C0338.oap?model=Bronco+II&vi=1106176&year=1988&make=Ford&page=2&results=20&sortBy=1

Just keeping the thread going till an A4LD guru shows up.

Last edited:

beckalb95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I figured it out, it was just a plug on top of the speedometer I forgot to plug back in after I re installed the transmission from replacing the rear main seal on the motor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals