• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with tail gate handle.

ViperPit07

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looking for some help with fixing my lift gate handle. I know this has been covered but alas I happen to have 84.
however my door locks dont match the lift gate key cylinder anymore anyways. So I don't care if I can lock it.
Original handle is broken off on the inside, so it is no longer contacting the latch mechanism which still works.

Can I just replace it with a 91 explorer handle anyways or will that not work. I just want to be able to open the stinkin thing at this point. thanks in advance for ANY help on this. Cheers

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
Transmission
Manual
Get an explorer latch handle, you just have to slightly open the holes and it works great. I tried to find the spring that failed on my b2 then found out about the explorer swap, works.

ViperPit07

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Get an explorer latch handle, you just have to slightly open the holes and it works great. I tried to find the spring that failed on my b2 then found out about the explorer swap, works.
I know that the explorer handle works on later models where the key is separate from the handle. but in 84 the key hole was built into the handle and i have yet to get a straight answer on it that means the explorer handle WONT work on this tailgate.

SPUDLEYDORIGHt

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Safety Second
I know that the explorer handle works on later models where the key is separate from the handle. but in 84 the key hole was built into the handle and i have yet to get a straight answer on it that means the explorer handle WONT work on this tailgate.
I think it will work, he just won't be able to lock it. My B2 came w/ a hatch that had no lock cylinder but had a latch from a later model w/ no key slot. There was no way to lock that hatch. I ended up getting a different hatch w/ a lock cylinder so I could lock it up.

Lockguy1967

Reaction score
Did you happen to find a lift gate handle for your 84 Bronco? I have come across a storage tote with a few of them in there. The 84 style both lift and tailgate and the 85-90 years also

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals