• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with starter

Vexarana

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The previous owner changed over my battery terminals to boat quick disconnects and I have had issues with the wires working loose so occasionally I've had to go in there and tighten it down.

Its a 91 4.0 so there are the two wires for positive and negative which need to be connected to hook up for it to start.

Normally, a wire works loose and I take it out and recrimp the connector on it and it starts fine.

Last night I was at a coworkers house because I'm housesitting this weekend and it wouldn't start up when I tried to leave.

Power is fine, all lights work, headlights work strong, don't need a jump.

All the battery wires look to be getting a good contact.

But no crank. Just "click click click" when I try.

One important thing I know is that when I try to crank it, all the lights on the truck go out. If I have door open and dome light is on, I crank and it goes pitch black.

My supervisor said he had the exact same issue and it was his starter. Found a decent deal on one for $120 local, so I can get it and hopefully install it today. But I was planning on changing the terminals first. If anyone has experience with this and I might be overlooking something, please speak up.

Oh, and I did check the ignition fuse. The 60A in the distributor box. It's fine.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Your terminals are loose. And or your wires are bad

Vexarana

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does the click-click mean that the smaller wire is not hooked up properly? Or one of the big wires isn't getting a good contact and the amperage isn't getting to the starter properly?

EDIT : Hooked up / good contact / going bad interchangibly.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It's a bad connection on one of the big wires, somewhere, check both ends of both big wires.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals