• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with my Supension Replacement!

GiovanyS214

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hi there 👋

My name is Giovany. I have a 2000 ranger xlt rwd that i just got with148k miles on it. The front suspension is really rickety and i think its time to replace it. I just dont know what all exactly to replace. Amazon has suspension kits and ive been looking into them but im just not too sure if it has all that i need. Also. I dont want to get something and then as im pulling it all out, find out i need something else replaced... Its just gonna be a real pain. I want to knock it out in one day. Can anybody give me any tips or pointers please? Thanks in advance.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
What exactly are you looking to replace? If the entire suspension, you'll need more than a day. Even just one component like lower control arms can take more than a day depending on what tools you have and how much corrosion you are dealing with.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
It would be worth having the suspension inspected by a tech to find out what you need, it's apt to be cheaper than replacing everything. Unless you just want everything new.

GiovanyS214

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
It would be worth having the suspension inspected by a tech to find out what you need, it's apt to be cheaper than replacing everything. Unless you just want everything new.
Sounds good. But the thing about it is... Im kind of in the middle of nowhere lol i will keep that in mind.

GiovanyS214

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
What exactly are you looking to replace? If the entire suspension, you'll need more than a day. Even just one component like lower control arms can take more than a day depending on what tools you have and how much corrosion you are dealing with.
Well honestly, i know it needs fixing. Its just really squeaky when i drive it. And when i go 55+ mph it shakes pretty bad like if something is loose, which of course, is a cause for concern with anybody. It feels like a loose wheel on a shopping cart if that makes any sense. Then there was a power steering leak that has clearly been ignored for a while now because my whole left side of the truck is just caked with dirt and fluid it just looks a mess. Ive stopped all leaks now but i feel like all that dirt and fluid has taken its toll on my components. My steering rack squeaks when i turn so i know that needs to be replaced. This is all that comes with the amazon package. You think its good enough to start with? What else am i missing? I plan on restoring and keeping this truck so i want it to be decent. Im no mechanic but ive fixed alot on it already thanks to my persistence, determination, and of course, good ole' youtube lol so i know i can do it. And ive saved hundreds. So yeah if you got any hints or suggestions please throw them my way. Anything is appreciated. Thanks in advance. 👍🏽

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
That pretty much covers everything for sure. I don’t know about that manufacturer as far as the quality of their components. All of that will definitely take more than a day and you’ll want an alignment done. I can get everything pretty darn close to original spec but it’s still off and needs adjusted.

You’ll need a press for the lower ball joints. Not so much with taking them out but for putting them in but i helps for the removal as well. And you’ll need tools to break the ball joint and tie rod end pins loose.

A pickle fork can work but they have a reputation for tearing boots. Something to think about if you have to take things apart later for other maintenance.

There are front end service kits out there that should have everything you need.

For the sway bar end links. It’s better to just cut them off. An angle grinder with a cut off wheel works well. Just make sure you either have both wheels off the ground or on the ground to take the load off the sway bar.

Penetrating oil will be your friend. Start soaking things days ahead of actually doing the work and reapply everyday until you start working. Two or three days ahead of time is usually enough.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals