• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with Mazda B3000 1994

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Saskatchewan...hard to spell...easy to draw
How do you think, if i buy brand new engine harness... Its a big deal?
Something like this ..
I wouldn't do that. Some questions first. When you replaced the MAF what made you do that? Was the truck acting the same as it is now? What caused you to add all the other parts after you replaced the MAF? You also said that you can drive it with a little coaxing so does this mean you can drive it witrh the MAF plugged in?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Late comer but have some suggestions

No on the wiring harness, there would be a lot more codes if wires were broken/disconnected

Trouble codes are very good to get but you need to look them up on a full list, because most sensors/controls have 2 to 6 different codes that each mean something slightly different

Ford 3-digit code list here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/obd-i-diagnostic-trouble-code-dtc-applications-ford-3-digit-codes/

And once you have the codes CLEAR them, if in doubt disconnect one battery terminal for 5min
Restart the engine and let it warm up, CEL(check engine light) should come back on
Shut off engine and recheck codes
Computers tend to hold old codes in memory a long time, even one off codes, so best to chase current issues than an older one thats no longer an issue, lol

First a bit on how sensors work and codes are set
Sensors all share a 5volt power supply that is inside the computer, its called a Reference power supply, doesn't matter if its 4.8v or 5.3v because all the sensors share it and computer has it so it can "reference" that voltage to the RETURN voltage to see what sensor sees/data

Controls are solenoids, relays and IAC Valve, these get 12volts with key on, computer will GROUND these to open or close them, control them, and it will SEE that 12volts on its control wire(ground wire) with key on

Computer will set specific codes if it does not see "power"/voltage on its Return or Control wires with key on

Start with ECT code 116
116 (O,R) Engine Coolant (ECT) sensor out of range – ECT
117 (O,M) ECT sensor is/was low or grounded – ECT
118 (O,M) ECT sensor is/was high or open – ECT

Computer picked 116, out of range
Not 118 "open"/disconnected
So wiring is probably OK, make sure its the correct 2 wire ECT sensor and its plugged in
Range is 0.3v(Over heated) to 3.5v(-30degF)
On the ECT there will be a Grey/red wire, that's the 5v IN, all sensors have this wire
You can use a sewing needle to pierce any wire to read its voltage, won't hurt the wire, and you can get "needle probes" for Volt Meters
Test the RETURN wire, see what voltage it shows, cold test is fine

1994 will also have a 1 wire Temp Sender for dash board gauge, it a 12volt sender, the ECT looks similar but not the same inside

ECT, in essence, runs the electronic Choke, cold outside temp and engine needs to be choked, rich fuel mix and high idle, computer does this on cold starts
ECT tells computer how rich and how high the idle should be
On Cold Start if you get high idle that slowly drops as engine warms up then ECT is most likely OK

MAF sensor, just FYI this is there to read the WEIGHT of the incoming air, computer already KNOWS its running a 3 liter engine, so knows exactly how much air is coming in at any RPM
MASS air flow sensor, mass = weight
157 (R,M) Mass Air Flow signal is/was low or grounded – MAF
158 (O,R,M) MAF sensor is/was high or short to power – MAF
159 (O,R) MAF sensor is/was out of range – MAF

159 so not a wiring issue, out of range issue
MAF sensor has 4 wires
2 are for the internal heater, a 12volt(key on) and a Ground wire, no connection to sensor part, just a heater, same as O2 sensors have
Other 2 wires are for the sensor, 5v IN and RETURN

MAF sensor is a "main" sensor, unplugging it tells the computer to stay in OPEN LOOP where it only uses tables in memory to calculate air/fuel mix
Should be a Red wire(12v key on) and a Black wire(ground)
Then a blue/red and tan/blue wire for the sensor
Thinking the tan one is the 5v and blue is return but test them with key on engine OFF first

Also just as a test, unplug the 3 wire connector on Throttle Position Sensor(TPS)
Plug in MAF and see if engine runs better
The TPS position is used to set the range of what MAF should show at any given time, same as ECT

565 (O) Canister Purge 1 solenoid/circuit failure – Solenoids
This wouldn't cause engine issue and its most likely either unplugged or a bad solenoid
EVAP system is what this controls, it sucks air out of the gas tank while you drive to prevent gas fumes from polluting the air as the gas sloshes around in the tank
In the engine bay there will be a charcoal canister, usually mounted on the rad support, has a hose to gas tank and another hose to intake, on this hose will be a solenoid valve, hose in and hose out, 2 wires, red(12v) and grey/yellow ground from computer
565 means computer is not seeing 12v on this ground wire with key on, so unplugged or bad solenoid

I would fix the ECT circuit first, because outside temp(cold engine) is used to see if MAF readings are correct
So if ECT is telling computer its 150degF on cold start the MAF readings would be "out of range"

There are 3 capacitors in the computer that should be changed if you have it out
Usually blue, seen in this picture: http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv

They tend to leak after 20+ years, and are cheap to replace
Must match uF on each exactly
But higher voltage replacement is OK to use, i.e. 30v can be replaced with 100v buy NOT 16v
These types of Caps(radial) can get a domed top before leaking, so if the top is not FLAT its on its way out
On my 1994 4.0l a Cap looked fine but when I moved with my finger it just fell off, lol

Also with computer out you can test the wires of the effected sensors
Just to be sure there are no corroded connections
0 ohms is what you should see with probe at each end of a wire

1994 3.0l Engine wiring diagrams below

Attachments

Last edited:

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Saskatchewan...hard to spell...easy to draw
Thanks for all that work.

Maxsevich11

Reaction score
Late comer but have some suggestions

No on the wiring harness, there would be a lot more codes if wires were broken/disconnected

Trouble codes are very good to get but you need to look them up on a full list, because most sensors/controls have 2 to 6 different codes that each mean something slightly different

Ford 3-digit code list here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/obd-i-diagnostic-trouble-code-dtc-applications-ford-3-digit-codes/

And once you have the codes CLEAR them, if in doubt disconnect one battery terminal for 5min
Restart the engine and let it warm up, CEL(check engine light) should come back on
Shut off engine and recheck codes
Computers tend to hold old codes in memory a long time, even one off codes, so best to chase current issues than an older one thats no longer an issue, lol

First a bit on how sensors work and codes are set
Sensors all share a 5volt power supply that is inside the computer, its called a Reference power supply, doesn't matter if its 4.8v or 5.3v because all the sensors share it and computer has it so it can "reference" that voltage to the RETURN voltage to see what sensor sees/data

Controls are solenoids, relays and IAC Valve, these get 12volts with key on, computer will GROUND these to open or close them, control them, and it will SEE that 12volts on its control wire(ground wire) with key on

Computer will set specific codes if it does not see "power"/voltage on its Return or Control wires with key on

Start with ECT code 116
116 (O,R) Engine Coolant (ECT) sensor out of range – ECT
117 (O,M) ECT sensor is/was low or grounded – ECT
118 (O,M) ECT sensor is/was high or open – ECT

Computer picked 116, out of range
Not 118 "open"/disconnected
So wiring is probably OK, make sure its the correct 2 wire ECT sensor and its plugged in
Range is 0.3v(Over heated) to 3.5v(-30degF)
On the ECT there will be a Grey/red wire, that's the 5v IN, all sensors have this wire
You can use a sewing needle to pierce any wire to read its voltage, won't hurt the wire, and you can get "needle probes" for Volt Meters
Test the RETURN wire, see what voltage it shows, cold test is fine

1994 will also have a 1 wire Temp Sender for dash board gauge, it a 12volt sender, the ECT looks similar but not the same inside

ECT, in essence, runs the electronic Choke, cold outside temp and engine needs to be choke, rich fuel mix and high idle, computer does this on cold starts
ECT tells computer how rich and how high the idle should be
On Cold Start if you get high idle that slowly drops as engine warms up then ECT is most likely OK

MAF sensor, just FYI this is there to read the WEIGHT of the incoming air, computer already KNOWS its running a 3 liter engine, so knows exactly how much air is coming in at any RPM
MASS air flow sensor, mass = weight
157 (R,M) Mass Air Flow signal is/was low or grounded – MAF
158 (O,R,M) MAF sensor is/was high or short to power – MAF
159 (O,R) MAF sensor is/was out of range – MAF

159 so not a wiring issue, out of range issue
MAF sensor has 4 wires
2 are for the internal heater, a 12volt(key on) and a Ground wire, no connection to sensor part, just a heater, same as O2 sensors have
Other 2 wires are for the sensor, 5v IN and RETURN

MAF sensor is a "main" sensor, unplugging it tells the computer to stay in OPEN LOOP where it only uses tables in memory to calculate air/fuel mix
Should be a Red wire(12v key on) and a Black wire(ground)
Then a blue/red and tan/blue wire for the sensor
Thinking the tan one is the 5v and blue is return but test them with key on engine OFF first

Also just as a test, unplug the 3 wire connector on Throttle Position Sensor(TPS)
Plug in MAF and see if engine runs better
The TPS position is used to set the range of what MAF should show at any given time, same as ECT

565 (O) Canister Purge 1 solenoid/circuit failure – Solenoids
This wouldn't cause engine issue and its most likely either unplugged or a bad solenoid
EVAP system is what this controls, it sucks air out of the gas tank while you drive to prevent gas fumes from polluting the air as the gas sloshes around in the tank
In the engine bay there will be a charcoal canister, usually mounted on the rad support, has a hose to gas tank and another hose to intake, on this hose will be a solenoid valve, hose in and hose out, 2 wires, red(12v) and grey/yellow ground from computer
565 means computer is not seeing 12v on this ground wire with key on, so unplugged or bad solenoid

I would fix the ECT circuit first, because outside temp(cold engine) is used to see if MAF readings are correct
So if ECT is telling computer its 150degF on cold start the MAF readings would be "out of range"

There are 3 capacitors in the computer that should be changed if you have it out
Usually blue, seen in this picture: http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv

They tend to leak after 20+ years, and are cheap to replace
Must match uF on each exactly
But higher voltage replacement is OK to use, i.e. 30v can be replaced with 100v buy NOT 16v
These types of Caps(radial) can get a domed top before leaking, so if the top is not FLAT its on its way out
On my 1994 4.0l a Cap looked fine but when I moved with my finger it just fell off, lol

Also with computer out you can test the wires of the effected sensors
Just to be sure there are no corroded connections
0 ohms is what you should see with probe at each end of a wire

1994 3.0l Engine wiring diagrams below
Thank you very much for the comprehensive information)
Now I'll be figuring it out using it.
Thank you very much.

Maxsevich11

Reaction score
I disconnected the temperature sensor on the running engine ( and connected after 3 sec) before I stopped it and started reading the error codes.
Could that be why it showed an error with it?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes

That's what you should do as a "Sanity Test" for engine computers, in any year
You clear codes then start engine, make sure CEL is off, unplug a sensor and see if CEL comes on
Shut off engine and make sure new Code matches sensor you unplugged
Clear codes again and repeat with another sensor

There is no overall "test" for any engine computer, best you can do is test "sanity", to see if its responding to "bad" data in a "sane" manner

Maxsevich11

Reaction score
Yes

That's what you should do as a "Sanity Test" for engine computers, in any year
You clear codes then start engine, make sure CEL is off, unplug a sensor and see if CEL comes on
Shut off engine and make sure new Code matches sensor you unplugged
Clear codes again and repeat with another sensor

There is no overall "test" for any engine computer, best you can do is test "sanity", to see if its responding to "bad" data in a "sane" manner
A little update.
Since I do not have a multimeter available, I checked again the errors as you wrote.
There are only two errors, these are 565 and 159.
When I disconnected the TPS, the engine did not work better.
Looked at PCM, clearly did not see damaged or weakened capacitors. However, only 2 of all the cover bolts were unscrewed "alive".)

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looks like 2 of the capacitors have already been changed, 2 black were changed, blue was original most likely

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals