• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with charging problem

rangertodd

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Does the 3.0 liter engine in a '99 Ranger have a voltage regulator seperate from the alternator, or is it all one unit?

Details:

I've got a voltage issue with my '99 3.0 2wd Ranger. Sometimes when I start it up the battery light comes on and the voltage reads very low on the volt gauge. It doesn't seem to cause any drivability problems, but the lights and other electrical equipment deifinitely doesn't get enough juice.
My first impression was that it was an alternator issue, but after a few miles the volt gauge snapped back to where it normally sits , the battery light turned off, and all the lights, wipers, etc. went back to normal. The next day the same thing happened.
However, the following day the opposite happened. The voltage spiked for a few minutes, then went back to normal. This happened twice on my 5 mile commute to work that day. Now today it's reading low voltage all day long. I called the auto parts store for a voltage regulator, but they didn't have one listed for the 3.0. Is it inside the alternator in the '99 model, or is the regulator for the 4.0 (the one they DID have listed) the same as for the 3-liter? It definitely seems like a regulator problem to me, but are there any other options I should investigate?

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
take it to the zone.............they check them for free.

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The voltage regulator is an integral part in the alternator assembly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals