• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with brake lights !

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Recently I bought , 93 ranger 2.3L manual , so out of curiosity I started messing with the third brake light cause it wasn’t turning on so while doing that I realized my break lights don’t turn on when pressing on the brake pedal , unless I turn on the light switch . So I changed the fuse for the cargo lights and the brake lights fuse ,now only the third brake light turns on and the driver side lights when pressing the brake pedal , but they turn on ONLY with the switch . Any ideas on what it could be ?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You will need to test cab fuse panel, previous owner may have changed things there or at the engine fuse box

The 1993 brake light fuse, #10, should have power all the time, not key on or off, or light switch on or off
Fuse #10 also powers Parking lights but thru the main light switch
So main light switch may be "back feeding" 12v to fuse #10 when its on, which shouldn't happen

The light green wire from brake pedal switch splits in the cab and runs to 3rd brake light and then one wire to the drivers side rear of vehicle where it splits to the 2 rear brake lights, if only passenger side rear brake light doesn't work then could be burned out bulb or bad split at the rear
People often splice in to these wires for trailer lights, and that will cause issues as the years pass and wires corrode

So test if fuse #10 has 12volts full time

Attachments

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Brake lights should be hot at all times. So... work independently from the headlight switch. That part doesn't make sense. Do you have a wiring diagram? I think the Tech Library may have that one.

Being it's new to you... I would start by asking.... does it have add on trailer wiring? If so.... get in there and ensure it's not all jenky... and use a meter to check the bulbs and inspect the light sockets.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
and Ron has the schematic covered.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
You will need to test cab fuse panel, previous owner may have changed things there or at the engine fuse box

The 1993 brake light fuse, #10, should have power all the time, not key on or off, or light switch on or off
Fuse #10 also powers Parking lights but thru the main light switch
So main light switch may be "back feeding" 12v to fuse #10 when its on, which shouldn't happen

The light green wire from brake pedal switch splits in the cab and runs to 3rd brake light and then one wire to the drivers side rear of vehicle where it splits to the 2 rear brake lights, if only passenger side rear brake light doesn't work then could be burned out bulb or bad split at the rear
People often splice in to these wires for trailer lights, and that will cause issues as the years pass and wires corrode

So test if fuse #10 has 12volts full time
Thank you ! I will check that first and if anything I’ll come back with updates

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There should be a 40amp fuse in the ENGINE BAY fuse box that feeds 12v to fuse 10 in cab fuse box, as said full time

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
This year and model must have rear amber turnsignals? If it has regular red rear turnsignals, the brake light signal runs through the turnsignal switch. I know rangers and explorers are bad for some models having amber rear turns and some do not.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
H
This year and model must have rear amber turnsignals? If it has regular red rear turnsignals, the brake light signal runs through the turnsignal switch. I know rangers and explorers are bad for some models having amber rear turns and some do not.
hmmm it has mainly red and like 1/4 of amber lights . If that makes sense

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rangers used separate turn signal bulb in the rear thru 1999, brake light wire was not connected thru turn signal stalk
Called a 3 wire system

In 2000(and up) Rangers, the brake light wire ran to turn signal stalk(multi-function switch) and shared the turn signal wire that runs to each rear turn signal, so 1 bulb for turn and brake on each side
So with no turn signal on both rear brake lights come on steady
If a turn signal was activated then that rear side would flash as normal, if brakes were applied then the other side would come on steady, but turn signal would keep flashing, so no brake light on that side
The 3rd high brake light is not part of this its just on or off
Called a 2 wire system

This can come into play when you hook up a trailer, there are converters/adapters you can use to adapt 2 wire to 3 wire or visa versa

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Both my 84 BII and my 1986 ranger have the solid red lights in the back. The reason I asked. I seem to remember when they did switch over to ambers it wasn't a clean swap. Some models had the rear ambers, some kept the solid red.

hmmm it has mainly red and like 1/4 of amber lights . If that makes sense
Sounds like you have the rear amber turns. Usually a problem with the rear lights popping up with you mess with the running lights is a ground problem at the rear light. I would pull the bulbs and scrape the sockets and bulbs clean.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I would do like frankin recommends and work your way forward. If the bulbs look good, is their power at the lights? The brake pedal will need to be depressed for this.

If there is not, look for bad wiring or a trailer pick tail being wired into it other than by the spare tire pan. If there is no pig tail but there is a trailer harness plugged in by the spare pan, try removing that. Do lights have power now or do they work? Chase they system up to the front as much as you can. If the wire loom is intact and not tampered with, it is probably good.

The other gentlemen gave you info on the system and some recommendations. Like suggested before, check the fuse in the engine bay first. If that fuse is bad, there is no point checking the lights until you can get power back to the lights .

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Could have the wrong bulbs in period. If it calls for a dual filament bulb and you only have a single in it then the brake lights may not turn on. Check the bulb number before you spend hours tracing wires lol. Could be as simple as getting the right bulbs.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would do like frankin recommends and work your way forward. If the bulbs look good, is their power at the lights? The brake pedal will need to be depressed for this.

If there is not, look for bad wiring or a trailer pick tail being wired into it other than by the spare tire pan. If there is no pig tail but there is a trailer harness plugged in by the spare pan, try removing that. Do lights have power now or do they work? Chase they system up to the front as much as you can. If the wire loom is intact and not tampered with, it is probably good.

The other gentlemen gave you info on the system and some recommendations. Like suggested before, check the fuse in the engine bay first. If that fuse is bad, there is no point checking the lights until you can get power back to the lights .
Thank y’all , so I found out there was like one fuse missing in the fuse box outside , replaced like 5 fuses from the inside and then I was not informed every light bulb has it’s own socket place so the reason why the passenger brake wasn’t turning on either was cause of the light bulbs and the reason why they weren’t turning while stepping on the brake pedal was cause of blown and a missing fuse . I really did stressed my self out lol and even my abs light stopped flashing , now it’s on without the flashing but I think it’s the speed sensor . But other than that everything started working fine !! Thank y’all !!!!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Could have the wrong bulbs in period. If it calls for a dual filament bulb and you only have a single in it then the brake lights may not turn on. Check the bulb number before you spend hours tracing wires lol. Could be as simple as getting the right bulbs.
Soooooo Damn right lol . But fuses as well . Little pains in the ass

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals