• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help with 5.0 swap!

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 94 ranger with a 2001 explorer 5.0 and the complete explorer harness. My issue is the key does nothing but the dash lights up. I have to jump the starter to spin it over and am getting no spark, i have checked the coils and there is no power there. Im not sure the way i have the key switch hooked up is right. I just put the cylinder out of the 2001 in my 94 column and modified the column to fit the pats module. Any tips or tricks would be much apreciated. Also it has an M5R2 stick so i am not sure i bypassed the wires for the neutral switch right.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I am guessing you will need schematics for both and is the computer and harness for the manual tranny if not you can probably make it work without the safety switches but it is not recommended. find the wires needed for the ignition and start circuits off of the ignition switch and match them to the old chassis harness and engine harness. Take a multimeter and go wire for wire if you have to from the ignition switch on. You may get lucky and find a couple manuals at the bone yard for cheap with schmatics. Just be careful a wire fire will make you wanna cry. After the cresent wrench hits the floor. GL

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, definatly dont want to let the smoke out of the wires haha. im going to bypass everything to make it run then make a new safety switch for the clutch. The damn thing has been such a pain, i should have just made it a carb truck.

morse johnson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
run and start wire

Make sure that your start (crank) wire has 12v in the start position and 0v when released. Also make sure your run wire has 12v when the key is in the run position and doing start.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I had the same thing happen in my 86 Mustang when I did an AOD to T5 conversion. Wound up being the neutral safety needed bypassed. All I did was locate the harness and connect the 2 wires together. I'm not sure if it's that simple on a '01 setup though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals