• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help! Urgent!

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi! i am having serious problems with my 2001 Ranger 4x4. it has the 4.0L sohc. It is extremely hard to start, like it will crank and crank, then catch and die, and when it does catch a puff of black smoke comes out of the tail pipe. it idles extremely high, 3K - 3500 rpms. and when the rpm dies down, the truck wants to die. Please help me here! i depend on my truck everyday for transportation every day to school.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Clean the IAC.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like shes running very rich. clean the IAC for sure, and check the MAF. if your running a K&N filter, they have oil on them.

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
sounds like shes running very rich. clean the IAC for sure, and check the MAF. if your running a K&N filter, they have oil on them.
Whats a IAC?... lol... and i checked the maf.. i tryed unplugging it completely and plugging it back it, no difference.. and i just replaced the filter last month

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Intake air control valve.. Google it.

Remember all you need is fuel, air, spark, and spin. You have the spin(starter). So figure out which of the other 3 you don't have correctly.

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Intake air control valve.. Google it.

Remember all you need is fuel, air, spark, and spin. You have the spin(starter). So figure out which of the other 3 you don't have correctly.
I'll check it out tomorrow when i get home from school. I really think its the MAF... If i can I'll take it to the shop in school Friday and use the diagnostics computer... Bus for me tomoro yay :annoyed:

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well we put it on the computer today. Truck wouldent let the computer connect... its now misfiring.. my shop teacher said it could be alot of things... I'm almost ready to just cover it in gasoline and torch it >_> every week something new pops up... just last week i replaced the entire rear end.. now this..

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Well we put it on the computer today. Truck wouldent let the computer connect... its now misfiring.. my shop teacher said it could be alot of things... I'm almost ready to just cover it in gasoline and torch it >_> every week something new pops up... just last week i replaced the entire rear end.. now this..
i'll give you $1000 for it. :D

...if you deliver to Memphis. :icon_rofl:

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'll give you $1000 for it. :D

...if you deliver to Memphis. :icon_rofl:
Lol, i had a guy offer me $4000 for it today if i get him the sensor, which i have narrowed down to the cyl head temp sensor. So i'll see if i can pick one up tomoro and put it in. Its what my shop teacher said, and my friends father who has been rebuilding rangers for like 10 years.. Next truck im looking at is a 92. Exact same as mine, same features and all, cept older and a automatic. $1800. That will leave me with $2200 to play with

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Need more help lol, The mechanic i sent my truck to cant figure out which sensor is which... there are two below the throttle body. One has a red cap and one has a grey cap. Which is the coolant temperature sending unit? [is a sending unit another word for sensor?...] Not my truck but, shows which is which. these are right behind the thermostat aswell...

Could someone tell me which is which so i can tell this guy?... i need my truck back asap...

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pull a sensor off and see if the gauge stops worling. Then get a new Mechanic

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Wel, its hard to get to the other senor because the throttlebody is above it, he would like to know which is which before he has to take the intake and everything off... so he says.. and i do plan on getting another mechanic after all this BS.. 4 days he's had it and he's only changed the Idle air control valve..

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, should i just tell the guy to button up my truck, take it home and replace both sensors on my own time?... But i would need help due to not knowing ftlbs of torque to go on the bolts, etc... I'd replace both senors shown in the pic.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

This. Get a new mechanic. If I was you id show up with a car dolly and tell him to load it. NOW. yes, him load it! Lol

Torque of the bolt? Just get them tight... It's not like it's moving parts or radius arms or anything!

ANY mechanic should be able to figure it out. Heck, go to AutoZone and have them pull one and look at it... Remember the shape of the pigtail since they both won't be the same.

Seriously, once you get it back; don't take it back to him. There are multiple ways to figure out which sensor is which. He must have one to put in place of the bad one so........ Why can't he just look at it?

I seriously think you'd have better luck just fixing it yourself.

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
This. Get a new mechanic. If I was you id show up with a car dolly and tell him to load it. NOW. yes, him load it! Lol

Torque of the bolt? Just get them tight... It's not like it's moving parts or radius arms or anything!

ANY mechanic should be able to figure it out. Heck, go to AutoZone and have them pull one and look at it... Remember the shape of the pigtail since they both won't be the same.

Seriously, once you get it back; don't take it back to him. There are multiple ways to figure out which sensor is which. He must have one to put in place of the bad one so........ Why can't he just look at it?

I seriously think you'd have better luck just fixing it yourself.
Well i am going there tomorrow, and using HIS tools to put it back together. the truck does run when cold, and not so well when warm, but enough to get it home. I don't have a dolly nor another truck to tow it with. So this will be my best option. I will pay him for the labor he has done, and order the parts from school on Tuesday. I am NEVER listening to my step-father AGAIN when it comes to mechanics. The only reason why i did not do it myself is because of him. Due to making me in-confident that I would do it right.
I Miss sniper too much to have him away for this long! :mad: [yes I know I'm a little bit on the crazy side tonight :icon_twisted: ]

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals