• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) need help to disable VVT on 2008 2.5 duratec. SOLVED !! THANK YOU !!!

GT350HR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nothing but Fords
I am going to do a 2.5 Duratec swap into my 2002 2.3 equipped Ranger. (Yes I have the special intake) I need to know how to plug the VVT in the head and (I assume) I will also change the driver's side cam gear away from the VVT style to that of the 2002 2.3 non VVT style.
Anyone with a similar experience PLEASE school me on how to proceed . I would like to get the engine "dressed" before I install it. Also need 2002 valve cover , Ranger timing cover and oil pan , before the install. If I'm just ignorant and can't see where it has already been discussed , just lead me there!
Thanks in advance
Randy

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I don't know if it's been discussed here, but it has been to great length on the focus and turboranger forums. There are a few companies that make kits

GT350HR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nothing but Fords
Thank you!!! I ordered their $30 kit just now. now I'll grab a new stock 2.3 non VVT cam gear and be done.

Thank you again
Randy

GT350HR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nothing but Fords
The VVT cam must also be replaced with one from a non VVT application and a non VVT gear.
Current list of changes to install a 2.5 Focus engine in 2002 Ranger without robbing "major" parts from original engine
Special South American 2.5 Ranger intake P/N coming. ($100 special deal)
2.3 aluminum Valve cover used (30
VVT "plug" (Aftermarket) "kit" (30)
2.3 Ranger oil pan/pickup New (50)
2.3 "Ranger" timing cover New (125)
2006 non VVT 2.3 Focus intake cam USED ( slight performance gain) (33)
2002 cam gear used + 1 new cam bolt/washer (zero)
2002 dampner bolt/friction washers. new ($20)
So far that's all I can tell is needed. Should be a near 40 HP improvement. I will post as I progress. Under $400 to convert and 400 cost for 80,000 mile used 2.5 Fusuion engine ( like new). Goal is to get in the truck for under $1,000 total out of pocket. Sell good "unknown mileage , obviously rebuilt" 2.3 duratec for $400 or so in the near future.
Randy

Last edited:

GT350HR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nothing but Fords
New info added will show the intake part number when it gets in my hands.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
This is great info. Thank you for taking the time to write it all out (y)

GT350HR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nothing but Fords
You're welcome! I only started on this when my V8 conversion plans were squashed by California smog laws. I reached out to Brian @ Esslinger Engineering and he rolled the info out faster than I could write it down! 30+ HP is worth the effort and minimal cost involved. Waaaaay less time than the 5.0 conversion.
Randy

GT350HR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nothing but Fords
Update:
I am, beginning to do the conversion and went to install the VCT "plug" only to find it was too small. Turns out my 2012 "A" code fusion engine has a "bridge" style , one piece front cam cap that is actually made for twin VCTs. Mine is a single and Ford has a "sleeve" with a tab for the exhaust side ( no VCT). Sooooo. off to a local junk yard that had another "A" code fusion engine and pull the sleeve off of the exhaust side and put it in the intake side and bolt it down. Presto VCT eliminated! Add a non VCT cam gear and I'm good to go. Apparently the "oval plug" VCT solenoid is all by itself and the Maximum plug kit I bought is for the "square plug" VCT solenoid. Lesson learned.
Randy

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
any chance for a couple pics? I've acquired some parts, haven't tried to assemble them yet. 2010 Fusion engine for me.
what did you do about the balancer/counter balancer unit?

GT350HR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nothing but Fords
I haven't messed with it and don't plan to. I am going to use the Ranger balancer because it changed in 2012. Your harmonic balancer should be OK. The 2010 engine is different than the 2012 I have. The 2010 engine has a special cam cap only on the driver side ( int cam) The exhaust cam cap is separate and small like all the others. For 2012 Ford made the front cap to allow dual VCTs and uses a one piece "bridge like cap" with provisions for the dual VCTs. They simply made a plug/sleeve when only a single was used. I removed the VCT, put in the plug , changed the intake gear and switched to a non VCT aluminum 2.3 valve cover. All VCT valve covers are black plastic and must be switched to the aluminum version. I have a new unused plug and cam bolt kit for your application I have $40 in it if you want to buy it from me. No problem if you don't. Esslinger said they can use it too.

Last edited:

GT350HR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nothing but Fords
The 2.5 intake is probably drive by wire but it seems Maximum makes a conversion ($135) or they say the 2.3 'can be used" if it is offset upward by removing the steel dowels. I may try this initially. BTW a 2.3 Ranger oil pick up tube has gone obsolete from Ford. Luckily several dealers have them still ( $23) + shipping for mine.. I am still trying to keep under $1,000 installed and running. Might be a squeaker.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Do you have a pic of the 2.5 intake? Curious what it looks like. Could you just a use a run of the mill mustang cable throttle body? I was fortunate enough to get a manifold from @dangeranger93 for my 2009 2.5, and will be welding on a flange and using a mustang throttle body or something

Not much of an update, but I was able to get an intake manifold from dangeranger93 for my 2.5 Duratec

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
have you a part # on the pickup tube? I may order one for the stash of parts I want/need but may never use. :icon_rofl:

the 2.5 Duratec head has larger intake ports than a 2.3
I purchased what is called a "South American" intake from, from,, can't remember right now. it has the larger ports and takes a separate throttle body.

GT350HR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nothing but Fords
I forgot to check the part number for you but I will.
Updates,
I have had to ditch the counter balance mechanism so the 2.3 Ranger pan will clear. I also bought a new 2.3 ranger oil pump as the pick up mounting is different. The 2.3 "A" code engine exhaust cam worked perfectly with 8 different "buckets" being used to correct the valve lash. I used an exhaust cam gear ( no VVT) and it worked perfect. The A code gear had a different tooth count. Had to get a Ranger timing cover and dampner too. I still haven't picked up the SA intake from my friend but know I WILL have to use a cable throttle conversion so there is more to come. Stay tuned.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Awesome thanks for updating this thread. It won't be for a while, but I'm going to use a bunch of 2.3 Ranger parts on my 2.5 as well; oil pan, oil pump, etc. Good info here!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals