• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NEED HELP! Replacing '02 Front Cats

RangerDangerNorth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone. Just got this '02 Ranger XLT 4x4 Off-Road and it came with an exhaust leak. After diagnosis I've pinned it down to one of the front cats and the muffler. Muffler is an easy fix, just going to replace the entire cat-back exhaust with a new system. As for the front cat that's leaking, that's a different story. I can order an OEM front cat, but the old one's bolts that connect it to the back cats through a tri-screw flange, don't even look like bolts anymore (pictures below). Has anybody replaced their front cats ever and can recommend a solution? Or if anybody has seen bolts look like the ones I have and managed to get them off without damaging the connection (because I'm keeping the back-cats, therefore need the connection intact) I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

IMG_3422.jpg
IMG_3414.jpg
IMG_3428.jpg

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
That looks really bad. You may have to replace the entire catalytic converter system. You might see if a muffler shop can weld on a new flange to connect to, but I think that is unlikely.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would personally just take it to a reputable exhaust shop and have them do it. They do this stuff all day every day. Sometimes it's just money well spent...

gw204

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000 SE
Transmission
Manual
I bet it comes apart fairly easily if you hack off the bolt heads and nuts with a cutoff wheel on a grinder/dremel.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The difficult part is that without getting the entire exhaust down out to get access, only one of the bolts is accessible to grind on. I took a long sawzall blade and with care cut all the way through where the flanges meet once. It worked, after a fashion, but I’m not sure I’d try that again if I could get the exhaust down.

Of course, if that part looks like that, then the exhaust bolts connecting the down pipe to the exhaust manifolds are probably rust globs too. If they are and you have a torch, this is where you get to work. With care you can get in through the wheel opening to heat the flange the bolts go through.

Danger_Ranger.308

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not a rust belt tech but a blue wrench does wonders! If your really careful you can just burn the head of the bolts off, get the cat out of the way, burn the stud red hot and use a extractor to remove them. I have also used smaller diameter nuts and bolts if the studs damage the threads to bad. Of course you could probably just re tap them for studs if you wanted too but either way I'm glad we dont deal with rust like that very often :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals