• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NEED HELP! Replacing '02 Front Cats

RangerDangerNorth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone. Just got this '02 Ranger XLT 4x4 Off-Road and it came with an exhaust leak. After diagnosis I've pinned it down to one of the front cats and the muffler. Muffler is an easy fix, just going to replace the entire cat-back exhaust with a new system. As for the front cat that's leaking, that's a different story. I can order an OEM front cat, but the old one's bolts that connect it to the back cats through a tri-screw flange, don't even look like bolts anymore (pictures below). Has anybody replaced their front cats ever and can recommend a solution? Or if anybody has seen bolts look like the ones I have and managed to get them off without damaging the connection (because I'm keeping the back-cats, therefore need the connection intact) I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

IMG_3422.jpg
IMG_3414.jpg
IMG_3428.jpg

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 70D65189E6D8FF: January 5th, 2022

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
That looks really bad. You may have to replace the entire catalytic converter system. You might see if a muffler shop can weld on a new flange to connect to, but I think that is unlikely.

Uncle Gump

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead, Follow or get out of my way
I would personally just take it to a reputable exhaust shop and have them do it. They do this stuff all day every day. Sometimes it's just money well spent...

gw204

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000 SE
Transmission
Manual
I bet it comes apart fairly easily if you hack off the bolt heads and nuts with a cutoff wheel on a grinder/dremel.