• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help plz

rangrguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
so i got a 1994 ford ranger xlt 2.3l that i want to turbo. i have the money to buy parts and stuff. its just that i dont know what to get or the steps in rebuilding the engine. i was going to go with the v8 but then i decided that everyone does that. Every thing you could tell me would help. im not looking for an al out 500hp machine, i just need a daily driver that i can blow those rednecks out of the water when i need too.

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
well your going to start with a decision.

keep the 2.3 ranger engine or swap a 2.3t into the truck.
you can use the internals out of a 2.3t, rods and pistons, to rebuild yours, then you have to buy big injectors, a tuner, clutch, 255 fuel pump, big maf, a header and turbo and a few other minors things.

you can swap the 2.3t engine by re pinning the harness for the LA computer, wiring in a VAM instead of maf, still need a fuel pump, and go from there.

you can get the link from my sig to turbo ranger forums if you wish, they have a entire list of everything needed there for the 2.3 lima and duratec builds.

and make sure your mechanically inclined before doing this.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the stock fuel pump is sufficient for a mild engine (the thunderbirds used the same pump that the rangers did from what I hear), and I'm using a stock replacement napa clutch which seems to be working fine so far. no pinging on regular at 10psi, will handle 15psi with premium

now that mine runs again I'm more confident with my setup.

I can tell you a few things not to do :)

I started with a 2.3 ranger, added a '86 turbo engine, ditched the distributor and one of the coil packs, repinned the stock ranger harness to add the VAM and a couple other things, modified the air filter routing (I have a picture on my photobucket account somewhere, I'm at work and running out of lunch or I'd find them), butchered the heater fan box (need to fix that again, hole melted in it) and made a new exhaust system. There's a few games you have to play here and there, and I know I'd be a LOT faster the second time...

most of my build is covered in my posts if you do some searching

rangrguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals