• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help pairing amp with polk MM840D

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Well I have had a polk MM840D for about a yr I have been running it with a kinda crappy 400w amp. But now the amp seems to sound like crap unless I touch the outside of the RCA jacks while I ground myself. If I run a ground wire direct to RCA it sounds like crap again.
So Im thinking I need a new amp something that will fulfill the needs of my MM840d so 100-180 watts RMS and a peak power of 360 watts (what ever this all means) and needs to fit below the pass. seat of my 01. thanks guys.

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Dont worry about peak power, the numbers you want to look at are RMS. That is a 4ohm dual voice coil sub, correct? Ideally, you want to wire the coils in parallel, giving our amp a 2ohm load. So you need to look for a mono amp that puts out 100-180 watts rms at 2ohms. Or you could wire them in series for an 8ohm load

these should help:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1DVC_4-ohm_2ch.jpg

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like either your ground on the amp is bad or you just need to ground your rca's. either on the deck side or on the amp

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Well I have tried grounding amp with no change so now Im off to find a amp. I was looking a crutchfield site and found this info. about the sub
"Dual Voice Coils: The high temperature, 1-1/2" diameter copper voice coils and polyamide former withstand the most rigorous use while maintaining extremely low distortion. The MM840DVC features dual 4-ohm voice coils; when wired in parallel the subwoofer presents a 2-ohm load, when wired in series the subwoofer presents an 8-ohm load. The woofer's voice coils can also be driven by separate amplifier channels. The 180 watt RMS power rating is measured per voice coil, so the total power capacity of the two voice coils is 360 watts RMS." So does this mean I need to find a Mono block amp that is putting out around 360 watts RMs. and is it better to over power the amp or under power it? and another dumbass ? if a amp is stable at 2ohms in stereo will it still be 2ohm stable bridged? Also could I get a 4ohm stable 2 channel and wire each coil off a channel since the RCAs are in mono already? thanks for babying my through this

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals