• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help have two codes 14 and 18,

Cooktown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/R75/15
Truck cranks and runs about one minute,shuts off restarts. Runs again shuts off. Starts 3rd time bare will run before shutting off. New module on distributor new pickup in distributor. Cleared all codes went through sequence at first of the post , 14 and 18 came up again as stored codes. Need help to correct these, can't run any more test with code reader because engine will not run long enough to scan.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
14 Ignition pickup was erratic - Ignition Systems

18 (R) Check base timing & advance function - Timing Tests

14 means the tach signal, PIP, that the TFI module is sending to the computer is not steady, computer uses this signal to time injectors

18 means 14 and base spark timing may not be correct

But the running and then stalling reads more like a fuel issue than spark issue
Do 50/50 test
After there is a no start spray gasoline or starting fluid into the intake and see if it starts
If it starts and dies then Fuel is the issue, spark is still working
If it still doesn't fire up then yes its 100% spark issue

You could have a clogged fuel filter or pump filter in the tank
So truck has to sit a bit before enough fuel can filter in, then it starts and runs until that fuel is used up, and each time it starts it runs for less and less time, until its all used up until it sits again

If 50/50 test shows 100% spark issue
Then check the wiring on TFI module for frayed ends
Also near distributor follow the TFI wires and you will find the SPOUT connector, looks like this: https://www.fordforumsonline.com/attachments/spout-jpg.866/

The plastic end pulls out, this disconnects Spark Advance, so you can time this engine with a timing light
Makes sure its there and that the plug is there, pull it out and put it back in to clean connections

Last edited:

Cooktown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/R75/15
Thanks for the direction, I'll do the 50/50 test and go from there. all components of fuel system are new. Tank,pickup pump,high pressure pump, fuel filter, new injectors, rail cleaned,fuel pressure regulator. Only thing i didn't mention is the high pressure pump was not getting power so i am clippinga jump wire to the battery while i'm trying to solve the shutting off problem,

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
This can be a catch 22. The computer will not keep the fuel pump activated if it doesn't see signals from the distributor to verify the engine is running. The guy in the book says to double check the IDM wire for shorts to ground. He said you can do this by unplugging the connector from the distributor unplugging the coil and then unplugging the computer connector, and then checking this wire with a meter, it should read infinity to ground. He said it's the second wire from the bottom on the TFI dist connector.

Also, is this wiring to the distributor factory? It should have a foil shield wrapping around all the wires. And make sure the wires are not bare and rubbing this foil, that has happened. This foil shield keeps out interference coming into that important wire you are having trouble with (code 14).

Cooktown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/R75/15
it did the same thing started twice will not start after 2nd shut down. Would not start with starting fluid. The wiring is factory but I can tell someone has been in the harnesses before. I did find and repair wire from distributor to coil, was cut so coil was not firing. But before it shuts off, misses a couple of time while running for the 1 minute it does run then shuts of just like you turned the key off. After it sits will start up again and run for the 1 minute. I have checked at distributor connection looks fine but I need to test like you sugested. Which pin will it be on the computor connection? Thanks again.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Pin 56 is the PIP signal at the ECM.

1986RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
TFI info here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

Grey TFI modules don't use CCD, Black TFI modules use CCD

In 1988 it should be a Grey TFI module

CCD = Computer Controlled Dwell

Good read here on the different TFI modules: http://www.myo-p.com/Ford-EEC/EEC Help files/Files/TFI_grey_or_black.html
+1
I had code 18 when I had wrong TFI, kind of the same symptoms. Truck would crank hard/not start after a couple times, misfire, and would die at idle sometimes

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals