• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help finding a conversion u joint

Clay46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I got into a situation where I need to build my parts truck into my daily and one part I need is to figure out the driveshaft, I pulled engine and trans from a single cab 87 and put it into the extended cab parts truck which is also an 87. I found a usable driveshaft in a junkyard but it didnt have the end that goes into the trans. So what I have found is that the single carbs and extended cabs use different size u joints. Both 2wd if it matters. I have looked all through the junkyard for the end that goes into the trans from an extended cab but all the manual extended cabs dont have driveshafts. So my last resort here is trying to find a conversion u joint which seems pretty stuff to find. I have found that the single cab uses a spicer 1310 and the extended cab uses a 1210 but cant find the u joint, any help at solving this issue would be appreciated, I've been searching for weeks

Clay46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I forgot to mention it's an fm132 trans and the old driveshaft has the flange for an a4ld trans. Didnt know if maybe I could do anything with the flange already on it or not but I think they are different

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Is it fixed in the transmission? If not, maybe you can pull it and take them to a drive shaft place to make one or modify one of the ends for a standard one.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Do you still have the old drive shaft? Maybe they can take the end off the old one and out it on the new one?

Clay46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do you still have the old drive shaft? Maybe they can take the end off the old one and out it on the new one?
I would if it was that easy. I dont have the end for a manual that fits onto the extended cab driveshaft. I just have the one from my old single cab which uses a larger u joint

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If all else fails call these people. They can make or modify anything. I've bought several custom oddball shafts from them over the years and they do great work. They may be able to just help you find the proper joint.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You won't find a 1210->1310 conversion joint, they don't exist.

Both transmissions have a slip yoke at the back of the transmission, I believe? Maybe look through newer trucks and see if you can find a slip yoke, then have a driveshaft built for the length you need. Driveshafts are really hard to find in some cases because of all the length variations in those years and sometimes it is just impossible to find a used one. I had to buy a new one from O'Reilly for my '88 4x4 short box truck and then have it shortened because the only one they could order was too long.

Clay46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You won't find a 1210->1310 conversion joint, they don't exist.

Both transmissions have a slip yoke at the back of the transmission, I believe? Maybe look through newer trucks and see if you can find a slip yoke, then have a driveshaft built for the length you need. Driveshafts are really hard to find in some cases because of all the length variations in those years and sometimes it is just impossible to find a used one. I had to buy a new one from O'Reilly for my '88 4x4 short box truck and then have it shortened because the only one they could order was too long.
Yes it is a slip yoke that it uses. I have a driveshaft it's just missing the slip yoke that I need.i might try searching online more for the slip yoke and might head to a junk yard this weekend to hopefully find one. If I remember correctly the slip yoke for the manual is missing a tooth where as the automating slip yoke is not.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm not real familiar with 2wd trucks, you may be right about the slip yoke being keyed. I have only owned a couple 2wd first gens and they were just junkers that I stripped. I am fairly sure I still have a driveshaft from one of them... it was an '87 or '88 long box single cab, think it had a manual. If you can't find what you need locally, I can dig it out and send you some pics.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The slip yoke on my 09 is keyed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals