• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help fast! broken steering knuckle

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I will interject a comment at this time:

This will eventually happen to EVERYONE who has not upgraded to the '95-97 steering knuckles and two-piston brake calipers....

This is why I upgraded back in '07

AD

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
This will eventually happen to EVERYONE who has not upgraded to the '95-97 steering knuckles and two-piston brake calipers....
:shok: That's Me!!!!! :shok:

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
I will interject a comment at this time:

This is why I upgraded back in '07

AD

Information please.... We have our 1995 Explorer and it does have 2 piston calipers. Should we 'upgrade' or are we fine?

S-

tomranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Totally agree. Pick and Pull type shops should be able to help. If the yard has several to pick from? Grab one with decent ball joints :icon_thumby:

But please, even though the truck is a beater. We like the members here to be safe. Nice thing about a pick and pull. You can take your time on pulling the thing apart, and learn how it goes together.

Or if you have someone that can give you a ride there with your tools? Remove yours first and keep track of the tools you used. You will need a BFH without question! (Big Flippen Hammer) I've had great luck knocking ball joints free using the port-a-banger. (Hint: Do not hit the joint itself! Hit what the joint goes though! That normally breaks 'em free)

Please be safe!!

S-
thanks for your response, unfortunately I'm not familiar with how to remove/install the knuckle and ball joints.. could anyone please link me to a tutorial? would be greatly appreciated

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
thanks for your response, unfortunately I'm not familiar with how to remove/install the knuckle and ball joints.. could anyone please link me to a tutorial? would be greatly appreciated

Can't really direct link as I'm sneaking a few posts while at work.

If memory serves... I think Eric O. over at South Main Auto channel of Youtube did a video on Ford ball joints. Might not have been the exact make/model. But you'll be able to see if the parts/assembly is the same as yours.

Eric explains things pretty well, and is very decent to deal with. I'd suggest heading to Youtube and looking up his channel. If he doesn't have it? Google replacement video for steering knuckle for your make/model. It'll likely show up.

S-

tomranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks guy, i ordered a knuckle knuckle that should hopefully be here soon. i'm sure i will be back if i run into any more problems along the way

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
https://youtu.be/_AUoO7Ll-t4

While you are waiting for that to show up. Here's a cool youtube video of Eric doing ball joints on an explorer. He's pretty entertaining as well. Probably not the same operation as you are doing, but it's fun to watch.

S-

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
By the way there is a tool you are going to need...

No not the obvious, like stub puller....

You will need a 3/8" drive deep socket 6mm 12-point

this it to remove the Shield for the ABS sensor from the steering knuckle.

It is probably best that you are replacing the knuckle but if you had the time, patience and money it would now be a good time to update/upgrade to the '95-97 Two-piston calipers and the later steering knuckles they mount to because the two-piston brakes use caliper brackets that bolt to the later steering knuckles...

tomranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
By the way there is a tool you are going to need...

No not the obvious, like stub puller....

You will need a 3/8" drive deep socket 6mm 12-point

this it to remove the Shield for the ABS sensor from the steering knuckle.

It is probably best that you are replacing the knuckle but if you had the time, patience and money it would now be a good time to update/upgrade to the '95-97 Two-piston calipers and the later steering knuckles they mount to because the two-piston brakes use caliper brackets that bolt to the later steering knuckles...
no front abs in this bad girl.. i got a knuckle from a junkyard but cant get the old one off.. started a new thread if anyone wants to help, thanks again guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals