• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help diagnosing my 8.8 28 spline open differential

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
Mandates are for fascist dictators!
Just finished replacing my axle bearings and seals because I thought they needed it. Had the wheels and drums off the other day to inspect both my drum brakes and the axle. The truck has 220,000 miles on it and as far as I know the gears and bearings are all original. It was a grease caked mess when I bought it. Fixed the leaking pinion seal and gave it a thorough cleaning. Instead of a smooth feeling when turning the axle at the lug nuts you can feel the spider gears bumping into each other making a kind of indexing or ratchet feeling. I'm not sure what it was like when new or how to interpret the condition. Maybe it's normal? Or a sign of excessive wear? Reason I thought it was the bearings is from a video I watched the other day. Dude was noticing the same ratcheting feel when turning his axle and said it was the bearings for sure. I may not have needed the bearings but it was a good project that I hadn't done and at least I can check that one off my list. Any suggestions for diagnosing my differential gearing? There's an 8.8 limited slip axle with 4.10 gears(same as mine) from a 2004 fx4 that had 114,000 miles at my local salvage yard. They want $525 for it. Be an easy swap and potentially a nice upgrade but maybe I should just buy a limited slip or a locker and do a rebuild? All opinions and suggestions welcomed!

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
There's not many teeth on the spiders, it's normal to feel them when turning the axle at the tire if I remember right... it's been a while since I've jacked up an open rear axle and turned the tires... with it jacked up like that and turning the two axle shafts I wouldn't worry about it too much, the rear axles on these things can take a beating...

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
Mandates are for fascist dictators!
There's not many teeth on the spiders, it's normal to feel them when turning the axle at the tire if I remember right... it's been a while since I've jacked up an open rear axle and turned the tires... with it jacked up like that and turning the two axle shafts I wouldn't worry about it too much, the rear axles on these things can take a beating...
After a little more research I found a few helpful vids about inspecting, disassembling, and rebuilding axles and differentials. Realizing that the condition of my gears are, like you said, a little worn but far from damaged. There can be play in the carrier caused by slight wear on the pin or a little too much gap between the gears. Nothing that needs immediate attention but it will need either service or replacement to improve the function and lessen both noise and vibration eventually. Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals