• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help deciding what trans/tcase combo for v8 swap

jkw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i just got a 97 ranger cheap that is a 2wd rolling shell with v8 mounts and a crappy looking c4 crossmesmber. I'm currently cleaning up a 78 eb dana 44 and radius arms to go under it as well.

i want to throw another 302 in, and I don't know whether i will go c4 or aod. probably depends on what i find in the junk yards. i have seen that some full size tcases will not fit with the ranger frame rails. can i get away with a c4/205 or an aod/205? what about an aod/13 56? any other suggestions?

i do not have the ranger tease, so id rather go with a stronger full size unit with after market support, and avoid adapters if possible

thanks guys

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
If it were me id get a 97 exploer donor and a 4406 from a 97 f150 you will want the one with the speed sensor in the tail housing look at my build page and feel free to ask questions

jkw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm trying to avoid computer controlled transmissions...

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Mind if i ask the reasoning behind non computer trans the explorer 5.0 with the 4r70w and 4406 are as close to bolt in as you can get and if you dont run ac the wiring is 95% plug n play

jkw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The wiring is "supposed" to be all there minus the 2.3 ecu. And looking around the parts availability for the 4406 seemed more limited comparatively to the older tcases. If I went fuel injected to start with but later switched to a non ecu controlled tranny, would I sinply have to replace the ecm with one from a manual vehicle?

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Dana 20 (early Bronco or F150's) came with a C-4. You would need the adapter for it though (or find a C-4/Dana 20 combo). I run a 20 behind my C-6 and a 425 hp 347 stroker. I have never had any issues out of it (plus I can get 4to 1 gears for it, or if funds will allow go Atlas (bolt in).

If you go with the 20, watch for the 2hi-4hi only versions. They have them out there with 4low/4hi/2hi.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals