• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help. Cant figure this one out

josephgilroy177

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ive been having problems with my 87 ranger 2.9 since i bought it. Fixed some issues but i cant seem to figure out a cold start issue im having and the fluxuating idle when the headlights are on at night. At cold start it will idle high for 2-3 seconds and then it will immediately die down to 950. Then until it gets warmed up the idle will start to fluxuate and it will die several times. Ive replaced d**n near everything except the fp regulator and a few other things.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to The Ranger Station!

The IAC controls idle (air). Many times, cleaning the IAC will fix it right up.

Another thing to look for is any vacuum leaks. The IAC can compensate for a small vacuum leak, but not a gross leak. Spray car/choke cleaner around your vacuum lines/fittings and see if the the idle changes. If so, you found a leak.

You can test the Fuel Pressure Regulator using a fuel pressure gage attached to the fuel rail. First test for engine off fuel pressure, after or during turning the key to the Run position (makes the fuel pump Prime for two seconds).
Next is to test the fuel pressure again while the engine is running.

Then another test, with the engine running pull the vacuum line off of the FPR and note a change in idle speed and a pressure rise/drop. Continue this test by reconnecting the FPR vacuum line, note any change in fuel pressure, rise/drop.

Lastly, with the engine running and the gage connected, note the steady fuel pressure reading. Then goose the gas pretty hard, raising the rpms dramatically. You should see a change in the fuel pressure during the goosing and a return to steady when back at idle.

I'd tell you when the pressure rises and drops during these FPR tests, but I always get it exactly backward. You can also search on You-Tube for videos of the FPR test. Some are good, some are not so good, but it WILL show you how to connect the gage, etc.

If turning on the headlamps CAUSES a fluctuating idle, you should clean up all your major grounds, Battery- to frame to block, WS Wiper motor bolt to Head, and the small ones on the front fenders and radiator support.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals