• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help ac not working

whedbeec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay so I am working a 1998 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 Manual transmission. A few weeks ago my AC stopped working. When I first start the truck the AC clutch kicks on for about two seconds then never comes on again. The refrigerant isn't low. All of the fuses and relays are fine. The compressor is getting power. I replaced the AC cutoff switch and still no change. I tried hot wiring the compressor and when I did it came on but the air was still not cold. The blend door is not stuck. I'm not an expert but I have done tons of research and can not figure out why this is happening. Please send help I live in Florida and with the heat index it is almost 105 every day. Thanks! All input is welcome.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
So why do you think that the refrigerant is not low? Intermittent cycling of the compressor is a sign of low refrigerant, and the initial cycling and then quitting sounds like you have just enough pressure to start it, but once the compressor kicked in that dropped the pressure on the low side enough to trip the cutoff switch.

Another scenario if you truly do have a full charge is that your orifice tube is plugged and you are building up too much pressure on the high side so that the upper limit cutout switch is kicking the compressor off.

AJ

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 while sitting in my underwear

whedbeec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for your reply! I have hooked it up to gauges that tell it is still charged, I have swapped out the refrigerant but the tube being clogged is something I have not checked yet thank you!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Please explain: "swapped out the refrigerant". :icon_confused:

whedbeec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I flushed and cleaned the system of the old refrigerant and added new.

whedbeec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Update

Today I changed out the orifice tube and recharged the system. This did not fix the issue however the old orifice tube was VERY dirty and even had what looked like shrapnel in it. Any ideas as to what could have caused this?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I flushed and cleaned the system of the old refrigerant and added new.
Did you evacuate the system while doing this? Also, how are you recovering the old refrigerant? (FYI, it is illegal to deliberately release it into the atmosphere).

As for "shrapnel" on the orifice tube, that is likely from a damaged or failed compressor, which can be the result of many things... Among them, attempting to operate it with contaminants in the system (not properly evacuating it), and using the improper type and/or quantity of refrigerant and/or oil. Stop-leak sealers can cause many issues also. Thick black goo in the system is commonly called "Black Death".

At this point it sounds like you may be due for a new compressor (which also requires replacing the condenser coil as it is impossible to flush the debris ("shrapnel") out of all the nooks in it), new orifice tube, new accumulator, and complete flushing of the evap coil and all the hoses with solvent (if your discharge hose has a muffler on it, that will also require replacement for the same reason as the condenser).

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you hooked up gauges before you turn on the AC the pressure should be X psi. Then after the AC is turned on the pressure should go down. It should be maybe 50 psi depending on the ambient temperature. It doesn't hurt to overfill by a little. Did you replace the filter dryer?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
What 4x4 Junkie said. Reread his post, and a few other questions..what do you mean by "flushed the system"?

What are your low pressure and high pressure readings, along with what the outside temperature at the time you read them? If you are using only a low pressure guage that came with a refill can, you need to pitch it. You have issues that a simple refill is not addressing, and to further troubleshoot the system you will need a full manifold guage set so you can look at both high and low sides.

You also cannot purge or flush a compressor or an accumulator or a condensor.

From your description tho, it looks like you need a complete rebuild. At the least, new accumulator /dryer, orifice tube, compressor, condensor, and flush the hoses and evaporator. If any hoses have a filter or muffler, replace it.

AJ

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 while sitting in my underwear

RangerFortWorth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1999 Ford Ranger and I have Air-conditioner Problems. For about a month the system wasn't blowing air at all. When I would drive hardly any air came out the vents at all. The a/c compressor would come on and within a minute it would click off. I have put in a new blower fan and now it blows. However No Cold air and compressor isn't engaging at all. I have checked the fuses and all are good. Perhaps the blower motor was part of the problem or now I have created another problem. Please Help
Thanks

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I have a 1999 Ford Ranger and I have Air-conditioner Problems. For about a month the system wasn't blowing air at all. When I would drive hardly any air came out the vents at all. The a/c compressor would come on and within a minute it would click off. I have put in a new blower fan and now it blows. However No Cold air and compressor isn't engaging at all. I have checked the fuses and all are good. Perhaps the blower motor was part of the problem or now I have created another problem. Please Help
Thanks
you are likely low on refrigerant. which means you have a leak... probably the evaporator which is in the dash and a bit of a challenge to get to. you can do a recharge of the system and see if that solves it, but my guess before spring is over you will be charging it again. When your blower quit working is probably when the evaporator developed a leak. it likely froze up because no air was moving through it.

I have a write up in the tech library on resurecting the A/C, take a look at it, it will give you some insight into it. and if the tools or scope of it is a bit tricky, this is one of those repairs I would take to a shop to do.

AJ

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals