• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Fast Advice - '06 Ranger Sport - 3.0L V6

FRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger sport
Transmission
Automatic
AD: https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2006-Ranger-Sport_35575955
MY PICS:
Looking at a 2006 Ford Ranger sport 3.0L V6 in Canada. There is one young fellow looking at it "before me", and one person "after me". So if the young guy passes, he would like my offer tonight, as the buyer after me seems very eager (so I assume he wasn't as thorough as me).

Guy is asking $5500, which is the upper price range for that year (so presumably for a good-to-excellent condition truck). Seems like a tall order considering:

- Paint is chipped and scratched in many places but otherwise very little body rust (other rust shortly), worst is a long strip on the tailgate but whatever, the ford decals are also nastily worn out
- There is sludge on the bottom of engine seen from bottom looking up (What is this from? Is this a big red flag or is some moderate seepage normal on a 14 year old ranger?)
- The rear hangars and shackles are very rusted (so needing replacement sooner than later?)
- Rear Differential has fair amount of dark grease like it was handled with greasy hands or is leaking? I couldn't tell. I did get right underneath the truck by parking it up on a curb in an empty parking lot. Leaky diff a cheap fix?
- Then there are some more, more trivial/non-mechanical issues like a nasty pocked steering wheels and the seal on the window is a little brittle. Easy fixes most used cars around me will have.
- The A/C didn't get cold at all in at least 5-7 minutes at the end of the test drive.

Effectively, I'd rate this truck at a Good rating at best based on these observations. Based on this "market research" I was going to offer him $4600 (the average asking price in Canada for this model). But he seems like he might wanna hang tough on his number since the next buyer seems so eager.
I planned on explaining all this with my offer (with the pics to back me up). There is a modest amplifier and a new deck in the cab, there is a tonneau cover, and fairly new rubber. The interior is clean enough for me, one stain on the driver's seat, and the heater core leaked years ago and I saw the repair bill, floor is fine. It is otherwise "well-maintained" with oil changes etc... all are documented since when they bought from previous owner several years ago.

So, do I:
A) Avoid that sludge and structural rust?
B) Low-ball (lower than $4600 in hopes the others back out of the sale)?
C) Guess it is a fair deal?

The guy does not seem shady, nice retired guy selling his son's old truck. Maybe he just doesn't know? But ya never know. I didn't point these last things out to him in person as he rushed our conversation after the test drive, which is why I am glad I got photos on my test drive lol.
I'm a student, and while I have many tools from my Dad and can do alot of repairs myself (the seller doesn't need to know this now does he lol), I can't afford expensive repairs that are also very time consuming or where I'm limited by tools/etc (pulling the engine). So I figured I could fairly haggle price based on these noted things...

Halp?

PS - Oh yeah, the rims have gone to sh!te, the alternator was replaced last year, the wheel bearings were replaced with the brake pads/rotors last time they did it maybe 3 years ago.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If you're comfortable with $4600, offer less and see if you can haggle to $4600. I wouldn't pay premium price for that truck. Be prepared to walk away. There are other trucks. The other buyers he mentioned may not even exist. He could be trying to force the sale by making it seem like there is a lot of interest. Or it could be all legitimate.

That's the game. Good luck and have fun.

FRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger sport
Transmission
Automatic
Well, as I see it, there's:

- shakles and hangars have deep rust (known to this year's model - as per this website), didn't get the best look at the integrity of the spare tire which is also known to rust out.

- presumably an oil leak or some obvious lack of maintenance when they claim the opposite.

- quite a bit of underside rust but the body structurally is really good - just excessive scrapes and dings that I can look past.

didn't get into the airbox unfortunately, but before cash transfers hands I'll peek.

definitely looking for that ford reliability :icon_rofl:
but also seriously, love these rangers, great platform.

@ericbphoto :icon_cheers:

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Seems like an alright used truck. I wouldn’t worry a ton about the old oil buildup. It’s hard to tell how bad that rust is on the rear end, as you said those rear end components could be changed out pretty easy/cheap assuming there isn’t significant damage to the frame/mount up points.

If you are looking for a daily driver pickup it’s probably a decent choice, I personally wouldn’t care to have a 3.0L, but my ranger isn’t a DD.
I’m not certain what 5500 Canadian is in freedom dollars, or what the used truck market is up north. But, if you are hard up for a vehicle now, you will wind up paying more, however, as Ericb said, you should be ready to walk away. This is probably not a truck worth “top” dollar in your area.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
That little bit of rust on the exhaust is pretty typical. That oil everywhere is typical, it’s when it stops leaking you should be concerned!!!!

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Resealing the rear pinion and/or rear diff cover isn’t a huge deal, assuming that’s what it is.

FRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger sport
Transmission
Automatic
@JMF661 Lol yep 10 seconds to pull a dipstick

And, why paying more now? Figured this should be a buyer's market if people are worried about making insurance payments and selling off unaffordable or excess vehicles.

And yeah the normal price range for like an 09 is usually $7900-9995

So I could see an excellent, or as I like to say, trememdous, 06 pulling $5500
But a good one yeah, I'm willing to go from $4200 and up a bit maybe. I can do some repairs, but I'm not looking to pull an engine any time soon lol

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
THIS ADVICE IS TOO FAST TO REA....

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Should’ve just edited my original comment. Now I look silly 😝

Crosscut_Drifter

Canada Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
To the OP, if you bought it or not, I'd have taken it to my own mechanic. Especially when buying private. Lots won't show up on a test drive, but a trusted mechanic can find warning and clues.

If seller says no, RUN, don't walk away. Probably hiding something.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals