• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need clutch help

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I will start by saying I am a noob to working on my rig, I learn as I go. I have been trying to bleed my clutch with no success. I needed to replace the line between the master cylinder and the slave cylinder. First I had a hell of a time getting the quick connect to connect. A friend of mine came up and was able to get it to click in after fighting with it for close to an hour. He gave me basic instructions on how to bleed the line. Being a noob i did not do a bench bleed of the master cylinder before the connection was made. Also if doing this can be avoided i would like to, since the connection was such a pain in the ass to make. Any way i watched this video.

http://youtu.be/HgNTDGwcjZc

So with the clutch pushed in I opened the bleeder, to do the Gravity bleed. It spit a little fluid and air, but did not continue to drain fluid like in the video. So i closed the bleeder valve, and had my friend release the clutch. He pumped it till it got good pressure. so we tried to put it in gear with the truck on, and it would not go. so We repeated the process again. Clutch pushed in and held in, bleeder opened, spit fluid and air but no steady flow, bleeder closed, clutch released, pumped to good pressure but could not be put into gear with truck on. We repeated this process about ten times with the same results. (making sure to keep the fluid in the resavor up). what are we doing wrong? what should I do next?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What you are doing wrong is not procedural, it is directional. The truck is right side up, and thus the system is very hard to bleed because the bleeder is at the bottom and air rises.

You need to turn the truck upside down and bleed the clutch that way.

Seriously, the best way to do it is with everything out of the truck, hold the system upside down and do it. In the truck, just keep at it. I'm still working air out of mine after more than a year.

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
So since i cant drop the bell housing, and i don't dare disconnect the slave cylinder. I should just keep doing exactly what i am doing, and eventually ill get it bleed? Any rough ideas how many times i will have to do this to get it bleed?:icon_confused:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
One other trick that I have never tried myself, but have heard works...

Take the master off the firewall, turn it upside down so the line connection is at the top, and then try. That bend is supposed to be where most of the air gets trapped.

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
dumb question, again I am new to this. how can i bleed it with it disconnected from the clutch peddle?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The push rod stays with the master cylinder, not with the pedal. Just push on it. Sometimes I'll put a screwdriver in the hole when I bench bleed them. It gives you a better grip.

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for putting up with noob questions. will try to keep at it the way you said to at first. If that has not worked after several more tries, ill pull the master off the firewall and push at it with a screw driver. Thanks again.

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
do you think buying a vacuum bleeding tool would cure my problems? Iv tried bleeding it at least 20 times with no success.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Quick disconnect my @$$. I struggled with the line until I broke it. Both of the captive nuts holding on the MC broke loose. In that struggle, I pulled out the push rod. The guts of the MC came with it. Once I had all that straightened out and all the new parts in. I followed the directions that came with the MC. You put the line on the MC and hold the connection to the slave open . the front of the MC has to be pointed down, to purge the air out. Also make sure the reservoir cap is off. Let the brake fluid run for a 2 count. then let the check valve close. The plastic gizmo they give you is useless. I used a little screwdriver and pliers to monkey with the fitting. Once you have the line on the slave, open the bleeder. Close it with the pedal down. I would squirt some lube on the fitting and gently disconnect it. Then loosen up the MC so you can tip it forward.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals