• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need CARRIER preload specs

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
getting ready to do some axle work. starting with new carrier assemblies. I need the CARRIER (not pinion) preload specs for the 7.5, 8.8 and the front D35sla.
yes I know you do the pinion first, then install the carrier, measure pinion again, subtract to get the increase, then multiply by the gear ratio.
I'm sure it will take a few tries to get it right.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Sufficed to say, I'm not sure there is any? I scoured all through my '97's FSM and only found one thing for the front differential. Even in the 8.8" section under a specific window listing "rotational torque", it only lists for the pinion. I'll post the section that may or may not be of use, hopefully Ford won't get too pissed, I'm not really sure how to communicate it through a forum text box.

Attachments

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I viewed a video of setting up the rear last night, should have book marked it.
at the end they stated the rotational spec of the carrier preload. again, I didn't write it down. I think it was about 2/3 of the pinion spec.
anyway, the vid was quite good. they started with the pinion already installed properly. dropped the carrier in and shimmed the side to push the ring gear to about .003" backlash.
then they shimmed the other side to a snug fit, then added .015" to set the preload. that brought the ring backlash into spec.
from there the rotational on the pinion which now contains the carrier resistance was again measured. subtract pinion only from pinion plus carrier to get the carrier portion. then multiply carrier by the gear ratio to get the preload resistance of the carrier.
sound about right?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
that worksheet reminds me of the old joke,,,cornbread R square, pie is round.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Good to know there is a spec, I think I just stuffed shims in mine until I could just barely tap them in with the case spreader. Tapered roller bearings have a pretty serious thrust load capacity.

(I did save the document for my own resources hee hee :sneaky: )

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
page 22 of 31 basically add .006 to each side, no rotational spec.

is posting an link to a Ford document legal???
disclamer, don't print it!

Yeah seems more often than not that is how it's done.

For the Ford axle, you use the amount of shims that just barely allows the carrier to slip into place with slight friction (as well as providing you the proper backlash). After that is established, you add .006 or however much additional shim thickness to both sides to establish a preload.

For the Dana axles, you use a case (housing) spreader. Spread the case 0.010" (I think was the spec for the 35, but double-check), find the shims that allow the carrier to just slip in, then release the spreader to establish the preload.

Many people have accidentally destroyed cases with spreaders, so be absolutely sure you don't overspread it.

Pic of my home-built case spreader here:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals