• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need assistance

huntzilla360c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
stock
hey, I have a 96 ford ranger, the truck wouldn't start a few days ago, so I replaced the starter, checked the solenoids on both old/new, and both are good, bench tested the new starter, works fine. my issue is that after releasing the key from the start position to the run position it CONTI NUES cranking. I have replaced the old relay, I have checked the grounds, and I have replaced the starter switch behind the steel plate under the dash. IT STILL CRANKS.. can someone please help me out, I'm broken and dread working on my shit cus the army didn't use any lube.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If it didn't do that before the new starter, I'd suspect the starter mounted solenoid is sticking. Per the Fairmont vibration diagnosis manual in the late 70's:"new means new, it doesn't necessarily mean good."

huntzilla360c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
stock
If it didn't do that before the new starter, I'd suspect the starter mounted solenoid is sticking. Per the Fairmont vibration diagnosis manual in the late 70's:"new means new, it doesn't necessarily mean good."
so I had pulled the new solenoid off the new starter and bench-tested at the same time (after the first fail) The new solenoid operated identically as the old one did ( the broken starter motor, I looked inside and the arc magnets were powder/broken and it finally just stopped turning. solenoid still retracted with no issues and the same strength as the new one.
)

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
maybe the casting sucks and the little bit of clearance difference is causing the gear to snag. or the gear itself is made crappy. Id exchange the new starter for another one first.

huntzilla360c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
stock
maybe the casting sucks and the little bit of clearance difference is causing the gear to snag. or the gear itself is made crappy. Id exchange the new starter for another one first.
thats a good point, i didnt check the depth of the casting, luckily i still have the old starter so i can measure. thanks ill do that next

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Aftermarket parts are mostly junk in a box these days. Examples of DOA parts I've purchased: Alternator (also my buddy got 2 bad ones), IAC valve, AC compressor, Thermostat, Cam synchro, and yes a starter too.

I avoid store brands like Duralast altogether, but sometimes even stuff like NAPA is no good. My bad new alternator crapped out at 300 miles, and it was a Bosch.

The previous bad new parts I replaced with Motorcraft brand, and they all worked.

This probably why a water pump for my 4.0 OHV ranger from local auto parts store is about $40, while a Motorcraft water pump is $300+ at the dealer, if they even have one.

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
I’m gonna agree with Eddo Rogue on this one! Sounds like an exchange in the very near future! But the casting could be a little bit sloppy if it was first one on Monday morning lol! Part’s are getting crappier and priced higher for lower quality craftsmanship! “But that’s the way they want it, so they get it! I don’t like it anymore than you do!” Quoted from the Guns & Roses song “Civil War”!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Yes, On Friday everyone's burnt out and ready to party. On Monday, everyone's hungover. You want a starter that was made on a Wednesday.

huntzilla360c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
stock
so i measured the old casting, and it measured out to about .597-.601in for both holes, not perfect but close enough. ........the new casting was .519-.523 deep on the bolt faces. thank you @Eddo Rogue for mentioning the clearance.

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
I will say this from experience, I’ve gotten bad part’s and I’m sure everyone has! If not they’ve never worked on a vehicle much in there life! Gotten both name brand and aftermarket part’s be bad from the box. Got to look at it like this. One bad experience with a part doesn’t mean everything that distributer make’s is junk! Got a slave cylinder from AutoZone for my bronco ii. Put it on and barely made it around my house before it started leaking! Yeah I was pissed because I had to pull the transmission out again, but they exchanged it no questions asked! The manager here at the local store told me if I have any problems with it, to come back! They would replace it with the best one they offer with even exchange! Hard to argue about that! New one does have a little throw out bearing noise, but I can live with it for now! They already been made aware of it!

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Huntzilla360c that’s gonna have a lot to do with it! Could be causing your disengagement issue’s for sure! Not if but when you go exchange it, be sure and take your old one with you to compare the two! Gas isn’t cheap these days lol!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Sometimes my overthinking comes in handy lol. Glad to help bub, thanks for your service.

huntzilla360c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
stock
so there ends up being two types of starters for the 96 ford ranger, the details on the one I purchased never mentioned all that, SO it was just a fu----- automatic starter. the gear sits far forward and the manual starter sits flush with the mating surface. i can return all the other stuff I thought was the issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals