• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Advice On Getting a Headpipe

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
im gonna go to the junkyard here soon and get a few things for my truck, i might also get a newer style tube manifold from a 90s ranger, can any1 tell me what years to get and not get? or does it matter? anything i should look for when getting one? im not sure what differences they made to those headpipes and if theres a preferable year to pull it off of, thanks.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
93 and up I think have the newer style exhaust manifolds, but there are slight differences...you can use the Mazda B series from the same year if you can't find a Ranger because they are interchangeable...

Try to get one with that has the O2 sensor bung already on it if possible or plan to have to adapt by either using the lower pipe or having one welded on...

There was a few recent threads on this that might help you make a more informed decision...or at least prepare you for any extra work that may be involved...

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
i think the ones off of the 93 and 94 have the o2 bung in the manifold.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
i think the ones off of the 93 and 94 have the o2 bung in the manifold.
I know the one I have does...and it came from a 93 B2300...

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
my 97 has a header, and the o2 sensor bung is welded to the pipe hooked to the header, im not sure if my header is stock or not though, the PO said it was aftermarket

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
alright thanks guys, just look for one thats got the bung for the o2 sensor on it and i should be good? i already went to junkyard but gdamn i only saw 1 90s ranger and it was almost a complete vehicle so i didnt bother plus i didnt know what to look for, i was hoping to get lucky and find a 90s ranger engine just laying around but i might go by there again and try to pull the header off that one ranger with handtools but that might not go well lol.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yes,get one from a 93-94.They have both bungs in them.As stated ,the 95-97,s have just one bung and the O2 sensor is in the down pipe.Not a big deal to put in,drill a hole for the sensor probe and weld the bung to the pipe.

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
booyaah went today and got one from a 93, its got a Bosch o2 sensor in it so im guessing its not an OEM one should i be able to use this o2 sensor or do i gotta buy a new one for my actual 88 engine? thanks

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If it came from a 2.3 and it has two wires running from it you should be able to use it...check the connector and if it's not the same as yours just splice it into the wires and you should be good to go...as long as you splice the wires correctly it won't give you a CEL...

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
it came off a 93 2.3 ranger and i only see one wire which is for the o2 i guess i posted a pic up, ill compare them 2mara then go get a new exhaust gasket i guess.

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
quick question when i order the new exhaust gasket should i order it under 93 ford ranger which is where i got the header off of, or 88 which is the year of my truck? thanks

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They are all the same. that is at least what the guy told me at advanced. just get a 93 gasket and you should be fine.

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
cool, i gotta drill the old bolts out of the flange and hopefully my bolts off my manifold will come out ok so i can re use them.

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
im doing work on my truck got it lowered fixin the timing and havent put the headpipe on yet, but i notice that my EGR tube is a bigger diameter then what was hooked up to that 93 rangers pipe, and mine isnt gonna hook up without some modifications im guessing anyone run into trouble with this? also i notice the part where my EGR tube hooks to the exhaust manifold is leaking a little bit around that bolt, is that bad? im not sure if there suppose to be air tight, thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals