• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need a new CPU heatsink... Can you help me figure out what will fit?

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The H50 is a good cooler, even better if you add a second fan to it. It is on par with the top air coolers but it's main advantage is installation space, pretty much if you have a rear 120mm fan it will fit where the tower style air coolers may not. There is also the H70 which is the newer improved version as well.
Yes, i was looking at the H70 but im not sure if i want to spend the extra cash to get something i dont seem to need. I wont be OCing. But then again, thats what i said to end up in this mess in the first place lol.

I have a rear 120mm fan setup. How does it work to run 2 fans? It says you are supposed to run the fan it comes with as an intake, but that currently is setup as an exhaust fan. This shouldnt be too much of a problem as the top of my case has 2 140mm fans for exhaust. But couldn't i just setup the radiator to my exhaust fan, then have the fan it comes with (or maybe another one like i have if they arent better) blowing thru the rad and out the back of the computer?

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Personally I'd have the H50 exhaust out the back but you can try both ways and see how the temps are to decide. Not having seen one in person I'm not sure on how to add the second fan, but I know alot of people who use them do it. you have one push air into the rad and the other pull air from it

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Personally I'd have the H50 exhaust out the back but you can try both ways and see how the temps are to decide. Not having seen one in person I'm not sure on how to add the second fan, but I know alot of people who use them do it. you have one push air into the rad and the other pull air from it
Then i will just get the H50 and push the air out the back like i wanted setup before anyways. Then ill have my 120mm fan in the front pushing air into the case along with my 140mm fans on the side to my mobo, then the fans on the back with the rad will blow out the back and my 2 140mm fans on top will exhaust as well. Can you tell im trying to fit as many fans in as possible? :p But i now ran out of spots in this cheaper case :'(

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
That should be plenty of air flow, I have 3 x 120mm exhaust (2 0n top one in rear) and 2 x 120mm intake (one on the lower front and one on the bottom) and have no problems with temps and I'm overclocked and overvolted on the CPU and my fans are all on a fan controller running at 7v for normal usage and only upped to 12v for stress testing and benchmarking.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya i just want to keep my video card as cool as possible. I have a GTX 460 and i cannot figure out if there is a way to cool it better since it comes stock with the cooler. It doesnt get overly hot, but when playing starcraft2 on max settings it gets to 80+C normal. Thats with the 2 140mm fans on the side. I know thats not too bad, but i still would very much prefer it to be cooler and if i could find a better way to cool it, i would. lol

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got the cooler today, AMAZING shipping that im pretty sure only took a day lol.

This thing is great. Fits nicely in the case. And with the combination of my very quiet fan, this thing makes less than a wisper of noise. I am definately thrilled with the turnout. I had to remove the top side fan and the one fan on the top, but i just mounted them on the outside of the case in the same way (And i think it looks awesome! lol). I am not using the stock fan (i never do), but i am using a coolermaster 120mm like i had before. I will be using the push-pull method as soon as my second fan comes in. Right now i just have the one fan facing out the case with the rad attached to it that way. I looked it up and i guess its better to have the fans blowing in the case from the outside so it gets the cooler air, so when i get the fan i will switch it around to blow in towards the case. I wasnt sure i should do that, but i have 2 140mm fans on top anyways lol. :p

Would definitely buy again and reccomend to anyone in a similar situation as me. The instructions say to have the fan blowing into the radiator and in towards the case for the best performance, and im doing pretty much the oposite for now and it still is running waay cooler. I didnt make a note to see how much it was exactly idling at, but i beleive it was somewhere around 32-35C with the stock heatsink. Now with the fans not even setup ideally it idles at 27C. A great change and im sure theres more to come. But i also should note that i finally installed the 2 140mm top fans so that is likely a small factor in this change.

Here is a quick pic of what the case looks like with the fans mounted outside the case. Not the greatest pic, but i had to take something lol. I forgot to take a pic of the cooler installed, but i will get one when i install the thing permanently with the 2 fans

Attachments

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here is a bit more pic-whoring lol. I love NCIX, yet another 1-day ship :yahoo:

I love this thing, its great lol. I got it set up the way it should now. I have the fans setup in the push-pull method. With the fans on either side pulling air from outside into the case (so it gets the cooler air instead of the already heated air in the case). I was a bit hesitant about doing it this way because i was going to run it with the front and side fans as intakes and the rear and tops as exhaust. But i have 2 140mm fans on top so it wont be close to a problem lol.

Below are a few pics of how it looks now, you can see how nice and tightly the extra fan ended up in with the block The other 120mm fan i got turned out black coloured with blue LED (I thought i ordered the same clear ones as last time), But it blows harder anyways and i mounted it inside on the rad. I think it looks better than a clear would have, and it still lights up to fit the blue anyways. Like i said before, i couldnt fit my huge fans inside the case with the radiators and even more fans, so i have them mounted the same way just on the outside of the case. I love how it looks lol, like a muscle car with the huge blower motor coming out the hood :headbang:. I also included a pic of the back so u could see how i ran the wires since they had to go inside the case somehow lol. i dont think that looks too bad either.

Speed fan says its running at a steady 25C now, just doing minor stuff like listening to music and browsing. If i didnt include this before, my processor is the AMD Phenom x6 1090t. Soooo quiet xD Just the slight sound of air moving and i even feel pretty cool now beside it lol. So many big fans its like an air conditioner :icon_twisted:

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. Im very happy with the turnout. And even tho it isnt a top of the line watercooling setup, i can still brag that my computer even has a radiator lmao

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals