• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need a new CPU heatsink... Can you help me figure out what will fit?

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone, im sorry for asking yet another question about my new (and first) computer build. Everything is up and running great. I built it to be pretty quiet as i have it sitting right next to me and use it for watching movies and such regularly. Its got 120mm and 140mm fans everywhere u could put one lol, thats not the problem. What i didnt take into acount, was how much friggen noise this stock CPU heatsink would make! lol it regularly spins at a roid-induced (this, im sure of...:icon_twisted: ) 4-5000RPM. Sometimes even faster.

So, this needs to go as its reeeeeaaally anoying lol. But, as im starting to regret now, i had cheaped out on the case and MB for products that were "all i would need". So i got a smaller case that is great for this, but not a real good amount of space. And this motherboard is pretty compact i think as the graphics card is pretty much right beside the cpu.

I want a heatsink that is really quiet, but can cool my 6-core processor. I was looking at the Scythe SCZP-1000, but i am doubting that it will even come close to fitting lol. I will likely need a 120-140mm fan to be quiet enough. Watercooling sounds very expensive and hard to setup, is this really the case?

I was hoping maybe one of you guys could help me determine what would be best for me. This little tiny fan just wont cut it, and my case doesnt look to have the size to fit a bigger heatsink. Heres a pic of the setup. Let me know what you think, or if theres some info i should post

Thanks

Attachments

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh, and there looks to be about 12cm between MB and side intake fans. Specs are...

-Logisys CS2006BK case
-GIGABYTE M68MT-S2 motherboard
-AMD Phenom 1090t x6 black edition CPU
-ZOTAC GTX460 graphics card
-8GB DDR3 RAM (2x4GB)
-(2) 120mm fans (Front intake/rear exhaust)
-(4) 140mm fans (2 side intakes/2 top exhausts)

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im thinking about the Corsair H50... Anyone tried it or know if its any good?

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Having such a small case you might be limited. A lot of after market heatsinks are bigger to accomidate heavier use.

Here are a few that might work with you system ( size wise).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233088

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185143

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 (this one is kid of Big lol)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118091

Hope this helps :icon_thumby:
Thanks, these seem like they would be a bit loud tho.. Which brings me more toward the H50 water cooling option... Is this setup as easy to do as it looks? lmao Just screw radiator to fan, then connect to cpu and then plug in fans and go? lol I never considered water cooling before because of the price and what i heard about the complexity, but this seems a bit too good to be true considering its cheaper than most still lol :p

Cant wait to eliminate the cpu fan's noise because without that fan on, all u can hear is the slight sound of air moving :yahoo:

On a side note... Anyone happen to know anything about cooling a Zotac GTX 460 graphics card? Im sure my temps arent bad, but i havent done anything more than watching movies and it seems to go around 50-60C with just normal computing. Lol I refuse to make yet another topic to annoy you all with... So lemme know if you happen to know a little :p

Last edited:

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, these seem like they would be a bit loud tho.. Which brings me more toward the H50 water cooling option... Is this setup as easy to do as it looks? lmao Just screw radiator to fan, then connect to cpu and then plug in fans and go? lol I never considered water cooling before because of the price and what i heard about the complexity, but this seems a bit too good to be true considering its cheaper than most still lol :p

Cant wait to eliminate the cpu fan's noise because without that fan on, all u can hear is the slight sound of air moving :yahoo:

On a side note... Anyone happen to know anything about cooling a Zotac GTX 460 graphics card? Im sure my temps arent bad, but i havent done anything more than watching movies and it seems to go around 50-60C with just normal computing. Lol I refuse to make yet another topic to annoy you all with... So lemme know if you happen to know a little :p
They might be loud, i dont know. I would read through some of the comments and see what people say about the audible level. That water cooler thing seems to be a straight forward product. Looks like one end mounts on the cpu with paste an you route the other part out of the case.

That site i linked to also has coolers for graphics cards but i know even less about that :icon_confused:

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They might be loud, i dont know. I would read through some of the comments and see what people say about the audible level. That water cooler thing seems to be a straight forward product. Looks like one end mounts on the cpu with paste an you route the other part out of the case.

That site i linked to also has coolers for graphics cards but i know even less about that :icon_confused:
ya i think I will go with the H50, sounds pretty awesome. Lol not only will it be quiet, but then i can say i watercooled it :icon_twisted:

For the video card, i have no clue if i can even get a separate cooler. I have the Zotac GTX 460, so it has the fan and everything looking to be built in. Cant find any sure answers since there are different versions of the gtx 460 lol. I just got StarCraft 2 so i guess we'll see how this end up and go from there. I have some spare parts laying around, so maybe ill just upgrade this computer even further and use the old parts to make a moderate gamer for the family

lneidlinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you want to go the cheap route for a decent heatpipe type cooler, coolermaster has some good options. They are all you really need if you want to just keep your processor cool and quiet. If you are doing some serious overclocking, you might want to look into a real high performance heatsink or a real water cooling setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064

Something like that. I have a (now discontinued) rosewill $15 upright heatpipe cooler, and it has surprisingly good quality and keeps my 64x2 5000+ at about 21C.

The H50 isn't all that much better than a conventional upright heatpipe cooler. Just not enough fluid and radiator there. I was even basically told this by a corsair rep on another forum, it is more aimed at people who want water cooling only on their cpu and/or people just starting out with water cooling. Better to save your money and spend it on something else, like your ranger :D

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want to go the cheap route for a decent heatpipe type cooler, coolermaster has some good options. They are all you really need if you want to just keep your processor cool and quiet. If you are doing some serious overclocking, you might want to look into a real high performance heatsink or a real water cooling setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064

Something like that. I have a (now discontinued) rosewill $15 upright heatpipe cooler, and it has surprisingly good quality and keeps my 64x2 5000+ at about 21C.

The H50 isn't all that much better than a conventional upright heatpipe cooler. Just not enough fluid and radiator there. I was even basically told this by a corsair rep on another forum, it is more aimed at people who want water cooling only on their cpu and/or people just starting out with water cooling. Better to save your money and spend it on something else, like your ranger :D
Lol ranger is out of commission atm. Needs a bumper and thats coming this next check with the heatsink.

I love the idea of watercooling, because if anything it sounds cool lol. I wont be overclocking, and i know this wont be as good as full-out water cooling system. I just need something that will keep my cpu tolerable and very quiet. So far the H50 seems like a very good option and all i will need plus more.

Anything with a fan big enough to be quiet will be at least a tight fit

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you go to the manufacturer of you mother board for suggested upgrades. Your gonna want to be able to cool the CPU when it is running hot if not you will be getting a new MB. There are alot of low profile heat sinks with a variable speed fan that are both quiet and efficient.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The H50 seems like it should be good for cooling. Or at least better than stock.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
The H50 seems like it should be good for cooling. Or at least better than stock.
The H50 is a good cooler, even better if you add a second fan to it. It is on par with the top air coolers but it's main advantage is installation space, pretty much if you have a rear 120mm fan it will fit where the tower style air coolers may not. There is also the H70 which is the newer improved version as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals