• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need a bigger alternator on my 84. ideas?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
now that i have my winch and lights hooked up i think im in need of a much bigger alternator in place of my stock 60 amp junker lol. does any one know of a alternator that will work with the same connects on the back? im not to worryed about mounting it. and will a 1000 cranking amp battery kill my starter or would it be ok?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've heard of getting high amp alternators from the old 6.9L non turbo diesel engines and as for 1000 cranking amp battery, I havent toasted a starter yet.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
I've heard of getting high amp alternators from the old 6.9L non turbo diesel engines and as for 1000 cranking amp battery, I havent toasted a starter yet.
so a 1000 cranking amp battery would be good for a winch and lots of lights? or would a deep cycle work better?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I would personally look into the deep cycle Optima batteries but I run a everstart battery from wal-mart and it hasnt let me set yet. They're about $120 but you can get a new one anytime it fails for 3 years ( 3 yr warranty. I ALWAYS get a new battery when the 2 1/2 year mark comes around) I havent paid for a battery in over 8 years....lol

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you upgrade the alternator and battery going with larger battery wires are recommended. Also switching the added components winch/lights with a relay so they run direct from the battery but use the ignition switch accessory circuit to energize the relay takes alot of the load off the stock wiring. You can get custom cables made using marine type battery clamps for good solid connections and make it easy to add components.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldnt recommend deep cycle you want the cranking amps.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
I would personally look into the deep cycle Optima batteries but I run a everstart battery from wal-mart and it hasnt let me set yet. They're about $120 but you can get a new one anytime it fails for 3 years ( 3 yr warranty. I ALWAYS get a new battery when the 2 1/2 year mark comes around) I havent paid for a battery in over 8 years....lol
i was looking in to a deep cycle optima but they cost so much and im not sure if thats what i need. ever start would be good i guess. our walmart is open 24/7 i might just go with something from there and if it tears up on me ill just go get another one lol

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
If you upgrade the alternator and battery going with larger battery wires are recommended. Also switching the added components winch/lights with a relay so they run direct from the battery but use the ignition switch accessory circuit to energize the relay takes alot of the load off the stock wiring. You can get custom cables made using marine type battery clamps for good solid connections and make it easy to add components.
right now i have the winch hooked to the pos and neg on the battery. and for my lights i have a 40 amp relay. im kinda of confused about what ur talking about with the ing switch circuit? i have all new wiring for my lights.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
I wouldnt recommend deep cycle you want the cranking amps.
for a winch what would be the best? the cranking amps or deep cycle. when its under a hard load it really draws the power down they volt gauge reads 10 im thinking i need a much bigger alternator. and for wire for my light i used 12 gauge stranded house wire. i guess its the stuff used to wire up commerical buildings and trailers.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
These guys know alot about upgrading wires I bought some for my jeep because I wasnt happy with aftermarket cables available.

http://www.kelleyswip.com/electric.html

They can make custom cables to spec that are rock solid at a pretty good price but you can get alot of good info your looking for here.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
These guys know alot about upgrading wires I bought some for my jeep because I wasnt happy with aftermarket cables available.

http://www.kelleyswip.com/electric.html

They can make custom cables to spec that are rock solid at a pretty good price but you can get alot of good info your looking for here.
wouldnt that be over kill for my lights lol thats about how big the wires for my winch are. i have a optima red top i can put in do u think that would be big enuf?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you might want to consider a dual battery set up. one for the winch and the other for everything else. a good deep cycle or marine/starting battery for the winch and a regular car/truck battery for lights, starting, etc. easy setting up dual batteries with an isolator so they will both charge from your alternator. that will also give you a back up battery in case one goes bad on you when you're on the trail.
just a thought.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Your wires for the winch and lights are probably fine I`m talking if you upgrade the alternator and battery. Depending how many amps you want to size the battery to the alternator and if you go above 100 amps you need to consider lower resistance battery cables #1 or bigger if your going 150 amp alternator but #4 would probably work ok for 100 amp. No way to fix it out in the woods unless you get creative with jumper cables. Sorry about the link there used to be more info there someone here should know the best way to upgrade your alternator and battery or do a search. It depends alot on how many amps your winch/lights pull you can wear out the charging system real quick even if your wires are big enough, adding a ground from the batt neg to the alternator housing is pretty much mandatory to reduce resistance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals