• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need a bed rack, opinions wanted.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
My uncle is giving me my grandfathers canoe, it's a bit of a big old bastard at 17 feet long.

I currently have no way of hauling it easily/reasonably. The cheapest most convenient option for new racks(I believe) would be to grab harbor freights 800lb aluminum universal units.

Screenshot_20220624-150313.jpg

They're a little tall for the ranger, but can be cut down so the cross bars are at a reasonable height above the cab.

My issue is.. if I put the canoe up on the racks so it's somewhat even with the truck front-to-rear, only the back 3rd of the canoe would be supported.

My first thought was to just get one of those little foam pads to put on the roof, and the front of the canoe can just rest on that.. but the durability of the paint on these new trucks leaves a little to be desired.. I don't want to end up with a big raw spot after awhile. Mabey toss a microfiber towel under the foam pad?

I could also just load the thing more or less centered on the racks.. but then the canoe would stick 6-7 feet out behind the truck. It would be high enough to not really be a safety concern with tailgaters and stuff.. just a little awkward.

Thoughts?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When I build my headache rack for my truck I built it about an inch or two over the top of the cab. When I picked up the canoe, I put it on the top of that and the top of the tailgate. Hang a red flag off the back of the canoe. It's a 17' or 18' Grumman Aluminum job.

Last summer I made a rear latter rack thing that just got jammed in the stake pockets out of scrap wood. Worked fine, but getting the canoe on and off was a PITA. Even with two guys.

I keep it strapped to a jet ski trailer now. Supper easy on and off.

Didn't you just buy a bunch of metal working equipment? Why not just build exactly what you want?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The higher the rack the better for carrying canoe. If you decide to cut, just cut the back so that the canoe is on an upward angle over the cab. My stock rack is low and I carry my canoe forward as much as possible to avoid hitting the cab. It's still very close. Use ratchet straps to hold the back and middle to the racks, and a rope at the front bumper to prevent the wind from pushing it sideways.
Another option is to put a 2x4 on the front rack to get the canoe lifted over the cab.
Anything 3' past the back bumper needs a red flag.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Didn't you just buy a bunch of metal working equipment? Why not just build exactly what you want?
I had thought about it.. I just have too many irons in the fire at the moment unfortunately. Need an instant solution for now.

The higher the rack the better for carrying canoe. If you decide to cut, just cut the back so that the canoe is on an upward angle over the cab. My stock rack is low and I carry my canoe forward as much as possible to avoid hitting the cab. It's still very close. Use ratchet straps to hold the back and middle to the racks, and a rope at the front bumper to prevent the wind from pushing it sideways.
Another option is to put a 2x4 on the front rack to get the canoe lifted over the cab.
Anything 3' past the back bumper needs a red flag.

I'll leave them at a practical height above the cab for carrying the thing for sure, I just don't want them 8" above the roof lol which is about where they are on a new truck right out of the box

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a clamp on rack on the cab of my 1994 and then a single bed rack at the rear to carry my extension ladder
Extended cab so they are about 8-9ft apart

But ladder is only 14ft collapsed

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Could just hang it out the back for the time being until you get the time.

I’m a cheap bastard. Don’t want to buy something or pay someone if I can just do it myself.

Need a shed for my tractor. Gotta build a saw mill to get the lumber first…… lol.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Front bumper support rack.
1656332805808.png

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Could just hang it out the back for the time being until you get the time.

I’m a cheap bastard. Don’t want to buy something or pay someone if I can just do it myself.

Need a shed for my tractor. Gotta build a saw mill to get the lumber first…… lol.
Historically I've tried to pretty much be as cheap of a bastard as I can.. but then I realized being a cheap bastard cuts into my free time too much lol. I'm happy to pay for more free time nowadays.

My neighbor was going to build himself a small barn, milling his own lumber. He's retired, and likes cutting wood so much I'm sure his property wouldn't have any trees left on it if it wasn't for his wife lol.

He quickly gave up on that idea.

Front bumper support rack.
View attachment 78218
Gross. I feel like those setups require an owner that was born... at least 30 years before I was haha

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Gross. I feel like those setups require an owner that was born... at least 30 years before I was haha
But yet here we are. Maybe you're older than you think you are :idiot:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Short of the front bumper rack or RonD’s solution, I don’t think there is much of an option short of a bed rack with a cantilever over the cab.

If you do go the two rack in the bed route and put something up front. Strap the canoe on the bed racks on not up front or at the rear most rack and up front. You need to leave room for frame flex.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals