• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Napa Remanufactured Alternator help

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger looks like the Alternator went bad. My battery light on the dash flickers its has 11.63 volts when running. My turn signals began to blink slowly. The battery light use to come on than off all the time but had no starting charging issues. My Napa store has a remanufactured Alternator Part # Ray 2133040K a 60amp. Has anyone used one of these before? its a note that the plastic output connector must be replaced on Ford 1.A.R 60 amp alternators. What do they mean by that? I don't want to by one that wont work. Any help is so much appreciated

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You must have what they call a 2G alternator. Ford had the great idea of eliminating the large output stud with the nut for the alternator output, and instead used two slip connectors and two parallel wires for the output. This output setup likes to get loose and overheat. At the least it ruins the connection and the connector, at worst it catches the engine on fire.

I would not run that alternator myself. It's too expensive, prone to problems, and there are cheaper alternatives. My 86 ranger had that alternator that went bad, I put a GM alternator on it, all I had to do is modify the bracket and drill the hole out on the GM alternator. Ford had the 3G which is a better alternator also, but you will need to find one that fits, I would not run the very large 130 amp unit, they made 95 amp units also.

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I know mine has the crappy plastic slip in connector. I should take it off look it over first maybe its bad. What is the best way to get that apart? I know it slips in with two slide over snaps and locks in. The wire don't have much room to lift it up to get to it and it looks like a pain in the Azzzzzz. Is there anyway of testing it see if its something els before removing it. I checked all the fuesable links to see if any where melted all look good

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Take the battery cable off first, then take the alternator loose and raise it up to check the connectors.

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Take the battery cable off first, then take the alternator loose and raise it up to check the connectors.
I got the Alternator out the output connector looks good not burnt or falling apart. I spun the pulley on the alternator it makes a lot grinding noise. Its the original one never been changed. I will order one from Napa I should not have to change the connector. I may have to use this fan and pulley on the new alternator. How hard is that to change looks like I need a puller. The sales ad said I may need to use original pulley

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If you have a impact gun, it's not hard at all. That will loosen the nut as you hold it with your hand, and then sometimes the pulley pulls right off, other times some slight persuasion with two screwdrivers behind it.

The connector is probably cheap, and they will not honor the warranty unless you change it. I would change it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals