• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Name that Squeal

lambo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've been searching and reading up trying to find someone with a similar problem and I've not found anyone with a squeal like this. It's so spectacular, I made a video. I must warn you: turn your speaker volume down before hitting play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eafmYlld-iw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eafmYlld-iw

It won't make the noise in the morning, only in the afternoon and when the engine has warmed up. It sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the engine compartment. A/C is off, just cleaned the IAC valve, new camshaft synchronizer and sensor about 6,000 miles ago.

Normally, it will only make the noise at idle (like when I'm sitting at a traffic light where everyone can get in a good stare).

Any ideas whatsoever would be appreciated!

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you tried running for a bit without the drive belt? That would help eliminate (or include) a belt driven component.

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Normally, it will only make the noise at idle (like when I'm sitting at a traffic light where everyone can get in a good stare)
That part made me laugh. but do what loco said, its prob a pulley bearing thats bad.

lambo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, loco.

Today I was able to spend some time on it. Got the belt loose and ran it, but it still makes the same noise.

I put a few drops of oil in the top of the camshaft synchronizer thinking that might help. Do you have to remove the synchronizer to get the oil down in there or do you just put the drops in on top? Putting them in on top (with the sensor off of course) didn't seem to help the situation.

Upon closer inspection, the sound is apparently coming from the bottom front. All I see down there is a power steering rack and the crankshaft.

I neglected to mention earlier that I let it get a little low on oil a few weeks ago. Maybe that will help narrow down the possibilities...

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From the bottom front about the only suspects you have are the Timing Chain and Crankshaft. How low was a "little low" on oil?

lambo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
From the bottom front about the only suspects you have are the Timing Chain and Crankshaft. How low was a "little low" on oil?
I had the head gasket replaced about 2000 miles ago. Shop said the gasket on the timing chain cover was leaking so it has a new one of those also and a new timing chain.

I ran about 20 miles with it three quarts low. :sad:

lambo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Harmonic balancer

I've had two people tell me it sounds like the harmonic balancer, so I took a picture of it the best I could.

See any problems here?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals