• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) mystery stall with speedo freak

05Sonic2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I finally joined your forum and thought i'd ask for some advice. i'll get to a stop, the speedo freaks out and the engine stalls. restart the engine, away we go. sometimes not too easily, other times easy enough. What have I done? fluids are good, gotta keep an eye on em. speed sensor in the rear pumpkin, speed sensor on the tail of the trans(auto), all the solenoids, (filter, gasket and oil while i was at it). Had the inclination to replace the interior harness when i thought i'd just take it to a shop. they cleaned the harness and the thing ran great for about a week and a half. I began to notice a smell like an oil leak, (not a new thing for an 05) shortly after it starts all over again. Now here comes my question: is it possible for my rear main oil leak to foul the harness (i've been told nope.. couldn't be) and cause this? I took it back to the shop and for two weeks they haven't found root cause. it's a good little truck. - side note - noticed the gas pump click off prematurely so thought about charcoal can/evap. Help?

05Sonic2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well guys... I dropped the truck off at aamco (I got tired of going in circles.) Turned out to be a ground issue after 2 weeks of looking. So now I'm investigating this driver door dome light deal. I replaced the sensor still no dice.

05Sonic2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
from what i've seen it could be the gem module, or a wiring fault between the door and the gem. another update, earlier i'd been told i could have a rear main leak. last friday i got started on a lil tuneup - just plugs, wires, and coil. try to keep things fresh. First plug wire i pulled was number 2, and it was oil soaked. :oops: couldn't believe it, looked up the cause - bad valve cover gasket. As i replaced it i found at the back of the valve cover a section like 2-3 inches missing. Yep, that oughta cause it. the gasket itself was as hard as a rock except for front middle. Got the high mileage oil change in too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals