• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mystery squeak- Still not fixed

MSTWNTD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've been chasing a squeak on my friend's 01 Ranger 3.0 2WD. We already replaced the belt, belt tensioner, idler pulley, and camshaft synchronizer (motorcraft). It chirps every time the ac compressor kicks on and off and it will randomly squeak while driving and idling (drive and park), even if the AC is off. In addition, when accelerating hard, there's this odd grinding, squeaking, squalking noise that we can't identify. At one point there was this terrible banging noise (sounded like gunshots) while we were driving down the interstate. We are totally lost and can't afford (and quite frankly are too stubborn) to take it to a mechanic. Any insight is greatly appreciated. It also has a vacuum leak somewhere but no matter how hard we look we can't find it. It's causing a very rough idle. To list some other things that we have already done to rule out include spark plugs, wires, ignition coil, air filter; cleaned the MAF, IAC, and throttle body, and ran some seafoam through it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Automatic
Well, at least your parts cannon is in good working order. ;)
For the vacuum leak: have you inspected/replaced the elbow in the tubing leading from the pcv valve back to the intake? This is a notorious failure point; mine has collapsed twice. The last time I used a brass plumbing elbow and a dishwasher supply adapter, it’ll outlast the truck now.
Try a mechanic’s stethoscope to isolate the chirp/squeak. Given your description and what you’ve already replaced, I’d guess it’s either a pulley bearing or a misaligned pulley.
Good luck, post a follow up when you can.
(y)

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Have you checked AC compressor pulley? Alternator? Power steering pump?

Would have been good to keep this in your original thread for continuity so that people reading it can see the whole story in one place.

MSTWNTD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well, at least your parts cannon is in good working order. ;)
For the vacuum leak: have you inspected/replaced the elbow in the tubing leading from the pcv valve back to the intake? This is a notorious failure point; mine has collapsed twice. The last time I used a brass plumbing elbow and a dishwasher supply adapter, it’ll outlast the truck now.
Try a mechanic’s stethoscope to isolate the chirp/squeak. Given your description and what you’ve already replaced, I’d guess it’s either a pulley bearing or a misaligned pulley.
Good luck, post a follow up when you can.
(y)
Thanks for the reply! We took the belt off and the alternator was squeaking like crazy. We're gonna replace it this week. Hopefully it's the only source of the squeak and nothing else in addition. We're gonna get a fog machine and make it into a smoke tester so we can find the source(s). Something else to note is that there is a coolant smell under the hood after driving. The coolant resivoir needs topped off every month or so. And the oil pan gasket is leaking like crazy so not sure what we're gonna do about that since the subframe is in the way. Guess we'll never be bored!

MSTWNTD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Have you checked AC compressor pulley? Alternator? Power steering pump?

Would have been good to keep this in your original thread for continuity so that people reading it can see the whole story in one place.
That would have been a good idea. Sorry, I'm new to posting on forums.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply! We took the belt off and the alternator was squeaking like crazy. We're gonna replace it this week. Hopefully it's the only source of the squeak and nothing else in addition. We're gonna get a fog machine and make it into a smoke tester so we can find the source(s). Something else to note is that there is a coolant smell under the hood after driving. The coolant resivoir needs topped off every month or so. And the oil pan gasket is leaking like crazy so not sure what we're gonna do about that since the subframe is in the way. Guess we'll never be bored!
Yeah, that’s the best thing about an old truck: it’ll never leave you with enough money or spare time to get in any real trouble!

delaware74b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Coolant leak: check the timing cover gaskets. Known issue to this engine. It actually makes the water pump look like it's leaking. I had 200K on mine when it let go. Also, changed the timing chain and gear set while I had it apart 116K ago.... Good luck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals