• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mysterious engine knock :-(

ItsGKtime

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I bought this 99 B3000 with no oil pressure. Dirt cheap. Sounded horrible. So i had a pretty good idea what i was getting into. The diagnosis wasn't to bad (for working on imports for a living lol), the camshaft synchronizer gear teeth were ground down to nothing, obviously the oil pump wasn't turning either. So I put a new synchronizer and oil pump in it, engine runs smooth, excellent oil pressure, but the engine is knocking, sounds EXACTLY like rod knock. OK i'm thinking it's still not a tragedy (the price was right) so i tear down the engine the second time, put a set of rod bearings and a set of hydraulic lifters in (some of them felt really weak). After starting up the exact same noise. Sounds just like rod knock but a little quieter. Gets loud under load, almost disappears at idle. I'm thinking my last resort would be a knocking wrist pin but before i tear it down the 3d time I thought i'll ask around if anyone had similar problems.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Did you check to see if you had any cracked pistons?

Jordan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I had the same problem and it was the crank bearings, you could move the crank up and down with lots of play, created the pistons to hit the head and basicaly screwed my motor. But that is like worst case senerio, distubuter problems leads to knock, look around, maybe a callipsed lifter.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have good oil pressure it sounds like wrist pins. Anything on the pressurised side of the oiling system would cause a drop in oil pressure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals